Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express 2003/Internet Security 2010

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bobby Mc

Bobby Mc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:58 AM

Hi Guys,

I am new around here so go easy.

My problem is as follows. My PC got infected by Internet security 2010 last week and I managed to get that sorted thanks to this site. I followed the link and downloaded rootkill and anti malware bytes.

However since then I can only receive emails, I cant send any. I can send and receive in safe mode.

I have googled this query but all solutions seem to be quite dated and I wondered anyone offer any advice?

Thanks
Bob

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:08 AM

Are you getting any error messages in OE? If so, post the entire message.

#3 Bobby Mc

Bobby Mc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. Below is the message I am getting.

"Sending reported error (0x80042109): Outlook is unable to connect with your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message contact your server administrator or your ISP."

All the details are correct and another machine we have is working fine with the same details.

#4 Bobby Mc

Bobby Mc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:48 AM

I have tried just about every possible solution Google can offer me. Does anyone fancy trying to solve what I feel is a difficult problem?

#5 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

Bobby, try this Microsoft Support page and you may find the solution to your problem. At the very least, you'll be able to troubleshoot further with the information provided there.

Rosie

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#6 Bobby Mc

Bobby Mc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for the help Rosie.

However I have tried most of that already without success. I have registry issues, could this be part of the problem? I have saved all the errors and can post them if you think they might be of benifit. There is about 90 files with errors and when I repair them and rescan them, most are still there.

Bob

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:41 AM

Have you checked the settings in OE? Compare them to what your ISP or domain requires for OE.

#8 Bobby Mc

Bobby Mc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:42 AM

I have double checked them. I have the same settings on another PC and its works fine. Also it works when the PC is in safe mode but not in safe mode in OE, which seems to suggest its an addin problem. I have disabled them all individually and collective and thats not the solution.

Really at a loss to figure it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users