Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NT authority/system virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 flstf2003

flstf2003

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:18 AM

I have an older HP DV1000 laptop with windows XP. I recently encountered several viruses and malware and removed them by installing Malwarebytes and McAfee. After doing this I started having a a problem with the laptop shutting down in :59 sec with a message reading NT Authority/system. Along with the laptop shutting down, when i enter something in google or firefox. I would click on the link and it would redirect me to some other website.

I downloaded Hijackthis and I have the info ready if needed.

Thanks for your time and consideration, I need to get my laptop up and running for a new job I am starting.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:25 AM

You can normally stop the Shutdown by clicking on Start then Run and typing: shutdown -a

Once you have stopped the shutdown you should be able to run normal antivirus procedures to check for infection. I would recommend that you post your Hijackthis logs in the HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum if you continue to experience problems.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 flstf2003

flstf2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:54 PM

Thank you for your quick response. Yesterday I was able to scan my laptop with both the McAfee and Malwarebytes. Neither one picked up on this NT authority /system virus that I have. And of now i still havent been able to start computer in safe mode. Will clicking Start then Run and typing: shutdown -a cure this problem?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

The shutdown -a command won't cure it, it's simply the command to abort an automatic shutdown. Windows will initiate a shutdown sequence with a 60 second warning if certain critical services are stopped or crash (NT Authority\SYSTEM is the username assigned to the programs that make up the core of Windows.)

The shutdown message you see should mention which program "closed unexpectedly." Knowing this will give a clue as to what the root of the problem is, though the redirection of Firfox and Google queries point to an infection of some sort. As such, I would recommend following the steps in this guide to create a DDS log and a RootRepeal log. Follow the steps in the guide to post these logs in a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

HJT Log spit to proper forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/291033/nt-authoritysystem-shutdown-regedit-blocked/

Topic closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users