Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Baldur

Baldur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:11 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to manage the ICT of a non-profit humanitarian NGO, where recourses are limited. We have semi-successfully managed until recently, where we now experience several infections that does not seem to go away, but spreading rather. We're using Trend OfficeScan, which does not seem to up to the task, neither does Symantec Endpoint for that matter, as it looks like one of the infections we got are ahead of the anti-virus industry.

So my first question would be whether it is appropriate for me to ask you volunteers for help, or we should bite the bullet and pay for professional assistance to get this mess sorted out?

Best regards,
M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer

We're using Trend OfficeScan, which does not seem to up to the task, neither does Symantec Endpoint for that matter,

I hope you are not using both at the same time

How many computers are you talking and how do you have them all setup?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Baldur

Baldur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:06 PM

Why, thank you :thumbsup:

No, not simultaneously. We had one PC that infected a bunch of USB memory sticks, and we loaded different AV SW on different PCs to see if anyone stopped the virus from entering the PC upon insertion. They didn't.

We have 130ish computers, factory OS, manual setup, XP Pro 80%, Vista Business 5%, Win 7 Pro 15%. All new PCs are set up with Win7 Pro. Windows Update set to run automatically, but are hindered at user's whim (yes, they have admin rights). They are in a workgroup, hence unmanaged. The AD and workspace is accessed via Citrix. Trend AV and FW is up to date, setup in a client server configuration. We're on a slow and steady track to make the PC client environment managed, a year from today, but I guess we have to fast-track that.

The more I read and learn, I understand that given the infection we got, we have to wipe the computers and reinstall. I lean more towards getting advice about detection, safe data backup from infected PC and reasonable countermeasures. I think I can elaborate on that in the appropriate subforum, maybe "Am I infected? What do I do?".

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:27 PM

For asking general questions:
AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/

Random thumb drives can cause issues
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users