Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

building first computer advice would be helpfull

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 md202089

md202089

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:18 AM

looking to build a computer mainly for fast downloading (cable internet) light gaming and video encoding/decoding. this is what i have picked out so far:
Xclio windtunnel case
rosewill extreme series rx750-d-b 750 watt continuous power supply
asus rampage II gene x 58 intel motherboard
intel core i7 920 bloomfield
corsair dominator 6b ddr3 ram 1600mhz timing 8 8 8 24 triple channel
windows 7 proffessional (64 bit)
evga gts 250 core edition graphics card
what are your thoughts?
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

I would get a better power supply
Don't go cheap
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

here is my psu and i have to say i am very pleased with it...no problems at all and can run everything i have which is a lot lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6-049-_-Product

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

For what you're going to be doing, the i7 920 is probably overkill especially with the Phenom II 965 costing less. You also don't need the Professional version of Windows 7 unless you use stuff like domain join, Group Policy (GP) controls, location aware printing, automated network backup, Encrypting File System (EFS), and offline folders. The Home Premium version will work well. Also, the GeForce GTS 250 is basically a rebranded 9800GTX. You would get better value by purchasing an ATI Radeon HD 5770 which is roughly the same price. I would replace the following components.

Case: NZXT BETA EVO Classic Series CS-NT-BETA-EVO - You don't need an enormous full ATX case given that you aren't a hardcore gamer. $49 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 - This one takes AMD's AM3 CPU's, DDR3 RAM, and allows for Crossfire. This board also has SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0, both of which are just now hitting the market. The AM3 socket on this board will also be around for a while and take upcoming AMD processors. $184

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB - This card is about as powerful as a Radeon 4870 but is smaller, uses less power, produces less heat, and allows for DirectX 11. $164 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W - This will be able to power everything with plenty to spare. $59 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz - This is the best CPU AMD has. Like all Black Edition CPU's, this one comes with the multiplier unlocked making overclocking very easy. You can save money by going with the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz, which is also a very good CPU and only very slightly slower than this one. $195

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - This is performance memory. To max out your RAM, you will need to buy two of these kits. Most people don't need more than 4GB, though. $93

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache - Plenty of space. Note that the motherboard can take SATA 6Gb/s devices. Few drives exist that can take advantage of that speed. This drive is SATA 3Gb/s $54

Optical Drive: LG 22X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH22LS50 LightScribe Support - A simple, basic drive is all you need. $24

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - You need a 64-bit operating system to take advantage of 4GB or more of RAM. $104

Grand Total: $933 (Before rebates)

Edited by DJBPace07, 27 January 2010 - 09:30 PM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users