Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC or fix this one-advice?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fitmom726

fitmom726

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:32 PM

Hi,
I was hoping I could get some advice. I don't have much money, about $400 to spend. I have this old Dell Dimension XPS T700r. I had some trouble with it (including spyware issues that Grindler helped me get rid of :thumbsup: :flowers: ) and maybe a bad hard drive.

All I really need is to run MS Office, surf and photo stuff. What should I look for when deciding? I already bought Windows XP, I know if I kept this machine I would need more RAM (only 128 now) and the student edition of MS Office

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks!
~Robin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:36 PM

I would buy RAM from one of these three companys:
(just plug in your computer specs, and they'll give you options)

Crucial
Kingston
Corsair

If your going to be doing some photo editing, I'd try to go at least 256 on the RAM (512 would be better).

Edited by tg1911, 28 August 2005 - 01:39 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:14 PM

You may not need to buy MS Office.
OpenOffice.org is an free, open source alternative to MS Office, and most files created in OO.o are completely compatible with MS file types. A new release tentativley scheduled for mid-September will add an Access-type module, further enhance MS Office compatibility, and expand its spreadsheet application to the same number of cells as Excel. In addition to a spreadsheet, a word processor, and a presentation module, OO.o allows you to save any document in PDF format with one action.

See this comparison between OO.o and MS Office:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1571626,00.asp

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:34 PM

I get spanked for recommending EBay ram but I have not received a bad stick yet. You will need 256mb sdram PC100 100mhz 16x8 low density 16chip 168pin for the computer you POSTed. The max you can put in that machine is 768 mb. Put towo 256mb sticks and keep the 128mb stick. That should be about $100.
If you need a video card look for a M440 Nvidia. For the right price a 64meg should do you alright.
Check here for a HD...Justdeals
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users