Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to log on to my computer (precise details provided)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dmjefe

dmjefe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:40 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 with XP media center edition. sorry for the length of this post but i will describe everything in detail.

while trying to remove a virus, i tried to boot up in "safe mode". i then got the blue screen saying "your computer has been shutdown to prevent damage......STOP: 0x0000007E". i continuted to boot up in normal mode which was no problem, and did the msconfig command and chose options to force my computer to boot up in "safe mode" everytime. upon reboot, my computer crashed. i tried again, hit F8, and chose to boot in "normal mode", but this time it crashed as well. i think it was still trying to boot in "safe mode". i tried again and chose to log in with the "last known configuration that worked", yet that crashed as well, all of them with the same STOP: 0x0000007E error. rough, i was unable to log on to my computer in any manner at all.

i did some research and found out that this is an error when your computer had trouble with a XP service pack 3 install and this message appears when booting in safe mode. i decided i needed to either somehow get my computer to boot in normal mode or uninstall service pack 3. using a XP professional start up disk, i went to the recovery console. when i chose my C drive and hit enter, it asked me for an adminstative password. i had always left this blank so i just hit "enter" and it told me that my password was invalid. after more research, i found out that because of the problematic service pack 3 install, even when the correct password was entered, it would say invalid. the microsoft site said to change the password and try again. well, i am unable to change the password as i am unable to log into windows. so i found myself between a rock and a hard place.

i found a backdoor way to change the administrative password, but right before i was to enter the final command to change the password, the screen said "unable to boot up in safe mode". it went to a black screen with four "safe mode" words in each of the corners. now upon booting up my computer from the hard disk, it goes to a blue screen that says "setup is being restarted......" and just pauses. when booting from the CD, i went back to recovery console and it didn't ask for a password. i typed "cd $ntservicepackuninstall\spuninst" to uninstall service pack 3 but it said "the file or directory was not found".

when booting up from the CD, instead of going to recovery console i go to "setup" it gives me this information:
74882 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
-: Partition1 [FAT] 47 MB ( 39 MB free)
C: Partition2 [NTFS] 52454 MB ( 6410 MB free)
D: Partition3 [Backup] 17618 MB ( 17536 MB free)
F: Partition4 [FAT32] 4754 MB ( 656 MB free)
Unpartitioned space

my options are to Install, delete partition, or quit. I am in over my head. i don't want to lose any of my data on my hard drive. do i have any options left? can we save my computer? or at least can i get the files off the hard drive before reinstalling windows? thanks for any help or advice in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:44 AM

You could try this to backup your data:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:14 AM

did the msconfig command and chose options to force my computer to boot up in "safe mode" everytime.

Have a look at the following link, and use the XP Recovery Console to rename boot.ini.Problems that can occur by forcing Safe Mode using the System Configuration Utility
Hopefully, that will allow your system to boot normally into Windows.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 dmjefe

dmjefe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:08 PM

You could try this to backup your data:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/

Thanks for the info. I burned the CD and put it in my computer. I select language "English" and then choose "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer". At that moment it says "I/O Error- Error reading boot CD" and I am only left with the option to reboot. My CD said it burned successfully. I tried other options like "check disk for defects" but it all ends with the same "error" message. I went to the Ubuntu site and it recommended burning the CD at the slowest speed possible. I burned a new one at 1x speed. Same problem. Any ideas?

Edited by dmjefe, 28 January 2010 - 01:01 AM.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:13 PM

I burned the CD and put it in my computer. I select language "English" and then choose "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer". At that moment it says "I/O Error- Error reading boot CD" and I am only left with the option to reboot. My CD said it burned successfully. I tried other options like "check disk for defects" but it all ends with the same "error" message. Any ideas? Should I burn another CD and try it again?

You are probably attempting to burn/write at "Maximum" speed ?
Reduce write speed to something like 4x and try again.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users