Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display driver gives me 4 bit color

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

I'm stumped on this (other than admitting that my video card is dying). I have an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 7600GT video card running on an XP Home SP3 PC. It has worked fine for 3 years with no complaints. Last week, I rebooted my PC and it came up with display settings of 800x600 and 4 bit color. System Restore didn't work. Instead of reinstalling my video drivers, I used my old FixIt Utilities recovery commander program (which has worked a few times before when System Restore failed) to recover my system to the day before. Well, that little gem damaged my boot sector and my hard drive disappeared.
Having kept good backups of the important stuff, I wasn't too worried and just did a format and reinstall of Windows. I finished the install and fully updated Windows 2 days ago. No problems over the last 2 days. Today, I do the following:

Playing CNC3: Tiberium Wars and I get a BSOD with nv4_disp.dll being listed as the cause. I had this same thing happen 2 or 3 weeks ago and downloaded a new nv4_disp.dll from dll-files.com. It fixed my problem back then and I never saw the BSOD again until today. So, today I do the same thing with that .dll file. I restart the game and play for about an hour with no BSOD. Afterwards, I rebooted and got the 4 bit color display. I go back into the System32 folder and rename the original .dll file back to the way it was so I have the first nv4_disp.dll file in place. Reboot and still have 4 bit color.

Next, I stick my video card CD in and uninstall the drivers. Windows reboots and I have a perfectly good display with 6 resolution settings and 32 bit colors. I reinstall the Nvidia software from the CD (just like I did 2 days ago with the OS reinstall) and reboot. BACK TO 4 BIT COLORS AGAIN!!! :thumbsup: ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Uninstall the drivers again and reboot. I get 6 settings and 32 bit color again without the drivers. So, I let Windows find and install the proper drivers from the internet this time. Reboot and I'm back to 4 bit colors AGAIN.

If I install my video card drivers, I get childish 4 bit color resolution from 1982. If I don't have any video drivers installed, I get usable graphics (albeit, sluggish graphics) as long as I don't do any gaming whatsoever.

Can anyone help me with this? I've googled here and there but have found no one that has had the same issue.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:50 AM

Do not allow Windows to update graphics drivers. When you allow Windows to do so an MS altered driver is installed, not OEM drivers.

I would head over to the Nvidia site. The latest driver available for your card will be there. Probably listed under Legacy drivers.

Of course if you are pretty sure the card is on it`s way out then this is probably only a short term fix.

One other option is to run the native driver Windows installed after you uninstalled the driver contained on the CD. If you do`t experience any trouble then leave it as is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users