Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Security 2010 removal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 butterfry

butterfry

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

I'm trying to get the Windows Security 2010 virus off my sister's desktop which is a few (3-5) years old and running Windows XP.

I downloaded the rkill.com app and it seemed to do what it's supposed to. I've been trying to run scans with Malwarebytes but it usually freezes. Starting the computer in Safe Mode helped, and I was able to complete the scan (also did an AVG scan*), but after restarting the problem came back in full force.

From what I understand, this is where I'd post a log or two, but I'm posting this from a separate laptop because the desktop I'm trying to fix logs out immediately after I attempt to log in (to a user account with a password). It does the same thing in Safe Mode. This happened before, but I can't recall right now what I did to get past it (probably just tried a lot of times until it worked? I'm really not sure).

*I've had problems in the past with multiple anti-virus programs on the same computer. I have Malwarebytes and AVG both installed on this computer; could they be in conflict with each other?

Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: It'd also be useful to note that I'm also just generally trying to get the virus off, not just asking if the two above programs clash. To reiterate, I'm trying to get Windows Security 2010 off a desktop running XP. Please advise. Thanks.

Edited by butterfry, 26 January 2010 - 10:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

Go here and try to follow the instructions.
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#3 butterfry

butterfry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for the help, Darthy.

There's nothing I'd love more than to use that guide, but I still can't get in without getting logged back out. Sometimes it lets me see the desktop (with no icons) for a second before it logs back out on its own. I've tried Safe Mode with and without networking, as well as just starting it normally. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users