Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Security 2010 Infection

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CrypticMoonfang

CrypticMoonfang

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

Hello.

As of Sunday, January 24th, 2010, I have been infected with a virus that I'm pretty positive came from Photobucket.com. Some research has shown that this virus has been attacking users from this website since 2008. The virus appears to be an anti-virus program pop-up called Internet Security 2010 and it had blocked access to many websites on my computer and continously plagued me with pop-ups stating that my computer is infected and that I need to buy the product to scan and remove the virus.

Through AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy, I had located and attempted to delete the virus several times but the virus never disappeared. It is not located in the Add/Remove Programs list and despite deleting the file from my Program Files folder in the C drive, the virus still remained intact. I eventually gave up and turned off the computer but upon turning it on again, it seems that I can't even access my computer log in. I will log in to both accounts and immediately I am logged back off.

My computer will not seem to take commands to enter a safe mode, either. My father had contacted a local computer repair shop by phone, and they suggested that we download ComboFix onto a jumpdrive and then turn on the computer, which should have booted it with ComboFix. That didn't seem to work either. Without access to the computer beyond the start-up/log-in screen I have no ability to get internet access or the DDS or RootRepeal logs.

Here is the information I gathered from the BIOS Setup Utility screen, in case it might be beneficial.

Notebook Model: HP Mini 110-1000
Product Number: VA714UA#ABA
System Board ID: 308F

Processor Type: Intel ® Atom ™ CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
Processor Speed: 1600MHz
Total Memory: 1024MB

BIOS Version: F.07
KBC Version: 02.0B
Serial Number: CNU9316T0Q
UUID Number: 5C4FBA47E86CFABA49703BD6A53C936A
Product Configuration ID: 03A8100000000000100300000

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

Go to here and follow the instructions.
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#3 CrypticMoonfang

CrypticMoonfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

It seems that in order to perform the actions provided on the page, it would require logging into the computer and I cannot access the desktop of any account. As soon as I attempt it, I am logged back out to the "To begin, click your username" start-up page. So I cannot access an account to open any of the files provided on the page, and I cannot log in to access the internet to even download them.

I've attempted to reach the safe mode but the menu to access it does not pop up and so I can't even enter through the safe mode option...

#4 Darthy

Darthy

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

And if you reboot your computer and hit the F8 key on your keyboard?
Thanks John

#5 CrypticMoonfang

CrypticMoonfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

The F8 key takes me the screen:

"Windows Boot Manager." Which states:

"Choose an operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows XP"

I just realized that you had to press the F8 Key after clicking enter on that page as well to reach the menu that gives the safe mode option, but even in the safe mode, my log-in on all accounts are being rejected and logging me back off to the welcome screen.

#6 Darthy

Darthy

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

As soon as your monitor turn black by rebooting your machine, you have to start tapping the F8 key over and over again until a menu pops up.
Then select safe mode, was this what you have done?
Thanks John

#7 CrypticMoonfang

CrypticMoonfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:56 PM

Yes, and it will enter safe mode. But upon attempting to log in, I got the same restults as I did in normal mode where I'm automatically logged off to the welcome screen again.

#8 Darthy

Darthy

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

Did you read the Important Announcement in the top of this page?
Did you use ComboFix?
Thanks John

#9 CrypticMoonfang

CrypticMoonfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:14 PM

I downloaded ComboFix onto a USB and plugged it in, but without being able to get into the accounts I can't access the folders for the ComboFix program, and even attempted to boot from the USB to see if ComboFix would come up. My father says we need an "auto-loading boot sector scanner," but we're not positive ComboFix will work on that.

But the important announcement about the ComboFix bug? Because we couldn't use it, I don't know if we'd have been affected by that, especially since we only downloaded it today.

#10 Darthy

Darthy

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:33 PM

If you could not access to your computer annyway, I'm afraid you have to format it, but don't do that yet and wait for another opinion.
I'm sorry.
Thanks John

#11 CrypticMoonfang

CrypticMoonfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:36 PM

I shall wait, then. But thank you kindly for your help and fast response either way. If I'd been able to access my computer, everything would have been such wonderful help, and it shall be good for future reference. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users