Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot restart my computer in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nicky00021

nicky00021

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

I'm pretty sure that I have a virus somewhere! But I cannot access my safe mode to run my virus stuff and malware. Any suggestions.....windows xp.

Thanks so much!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

Download and run SafeBootKeyRepair
  • Please download SafeBootKeyRepair and save it to your desktop.
  • Close all programs/windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Run SafeBootKeyRepair by double-clicking on it, or right-click on it and click "Open". (If you are using Vista, please right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".)
  • A black command prompt window will appear with the message "Please wait..."
  • It will now begin to scan, please be patient while it scans The scan should take no longer than 1 minute.
Are you now able to load Windows in Safe Mode?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 nicky00021

nicky00021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

I have read other posts on this. MY problem is that I do NOT have a start up cd, so I'm a little leary on it. Do I need a start up disc???

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

You don't need a boot CD to run the SafeBootKeyRepair.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 nicky00021

nicky00021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

okay I will give it a shot. Thank you, will let you know if it works. Crossing fingers lol!

#6 nicky00021

nicky00021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

So nope that did not work....... any other suggestions?????? Here is the log from the scan:

Reg export of SafeBoot key after repair:
========================

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot]
"AlternateShell"="cmd.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\AppMgmt]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\Base]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\Boot Bus Extender]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\Boot file system]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\CryptSvc]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\DcomLaunch]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\dmadmin]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\dmboot.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\dmio.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\dmload.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\dmserver]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\EventLog]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\File system]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\Filter]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\HelpSvc]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\Netlogon]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\PCI Configuration]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\PlugPlay]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\PNP Filter]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\Primary disk]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\RpcSs]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\SCSI Class]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\sermouse.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\sr.sys]
@="FSFilter System Recovery"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\SRService]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\System Bus Extender]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\vga.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\vgasave.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\WinMgmt]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}]
@="Universal Serial Bus controllers"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="CD-ROM Drive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="DiskDrive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E969-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Standard floppy disk controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Hdc"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Keyboard"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Mouse"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E977-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="PCMCIA Adapters"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="SCSIAdapter"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="System"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{4D36E980-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Floppy disk drive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}]
@="Volume"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Minimal\{745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}]
@="Human Interface Devices"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\AFD]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\AppMgmt]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Base]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Boot Bus Extender]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Boot file system]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Browser]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\CryptSvc]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\DcomLaunch]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Dhcp]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\dmadmin]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\dmboot.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\dmio.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\dmload.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\dmserver]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\DnsCache]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\EventLog]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\File system]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Filter]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\HelpSvc]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\ip6fw.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\ipnat.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\LanmanServer]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\LanmanWorkstation]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\LmHosts]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Messenger]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NDIS]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NDIS Wrapper]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Ndisuio]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NetBIOS]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NetBIOSGroup]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NetBT]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NetDDEGroup]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Netlogon]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NetMan]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Network]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NetworkProvider]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\NtLmSsp]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\PCI Configuration]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\PlugPlay]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\PNP Filter]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\PNP_TDI]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Primary disk]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\rdpcdd.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\rdpdd.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\rdpwd.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\rdsessmgr]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\RpcSs]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\SCSI Class]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\sermouse.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\SharedAccess]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\sr.sys]
@="FSFilter System Recovery"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\SRService]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Streams Drivers]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\System Bus Extender]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\Tcpip]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\TDI]
@="Driver Group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\tdpipe.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\tdtcp.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\termservice]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\vga.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\vgasave.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\WinMgmt]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\WZCSVC]
@="Service"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{1a3e09be-1e45-494b-9174-d7385b45bbf5}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}]
@="Universal Serial Bus controllers"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="CD-ROM Drive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="DiskDrive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E969-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Standard floppy disk controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Hdc"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Keyboard"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Mouse"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Net"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E973-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="NetClient"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E974-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="NetService"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E975-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="NetTrans"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E977-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="PCMCIA Adapters"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="SCSIAdapter"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="System"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{4D36E980-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
@="Floppy disk drive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}]
@="Volume"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\{745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}]
@="Human Interface Devices"

========================

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

You can try this:

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 nicky00021

nicky00021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

is this pretty simple to use. bc im scared that i may screw my system all up.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

Hard to say really. You should read through it all and ask any questions if you have any.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 nicky00021

nicky00021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

i have read up on that and not sure if that will work. how do i restore my entire system, do a motherboard wipe???? that will fix it! i have most of the files that i want transferred to a jump drive so im not worried about the files that i will lose. i just want my system normal again lol!

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:18 AM

From a PM

i just want to wipe my c drive out and restore it. but right i do not have a disc, is that necessary and how do i?

You will need to acquire the proper disks
What is the make and model number of the computer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:58 PM

I would just run the scans in regular windows, I always do. Also you could try using the repair section of SuperAntiSpyware to repair safe mode although I do not know if that will work since the other repair did not.

If you are wanting to wipe your drive and reinstall windows, you absolutely need a windows disk but if there is a sticker on your computer that has the license key for it, maybe you could just borrow a disk from someone that is the same version as what is currently on your computer and use the license key that is on that sticker to activate it.

Edited by Stang777, 27 January 2010 - 05:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users