Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slave Driver

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

Hi all!

Have a couple of vintage machines plus a handful of old hard drives. I need to extract files from the 2 older computers onto XP-Pro in current computer. One oldy was 3.1 upgrade to '95, other was 3.1>'95>98SE. I figure it's best to install those drives as slaves and that's about all I remember. Other old drives are unknown OS's.

Don't think I can even plug my monitor into the old machines, different plug on motherboard. Is there a step-by-step for the computer challenged on a Master/Slave install? It's been awhile for me and I've forgotten more than I remember.

Oh, and XP-Pro will be able to read those old drives in '95 & '98SE, right?

Thanks!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

:flowers:

This may help? Seagate and Maxdor Hdds are covered on it.

Basically all you need to do is look at the Actual HDDs, the Jumper setting are usually shown on it.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

:thumbsup:

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

A lot will depend on the type of drive, a 3.1 machines drive may be one of the old #$#* can't remember the name any more but the cable was way big. With luck you may have IDE with a 40 pin cable, now what type does your current machine have? See it may get complicated!! Look at where the cables plug into the old drives, if looks to be about 2" X 1/4" they are IDE. Now open your case and look at the cable coming from your current to the mother board if it is the same you are in luck, if it is a small plug then it is a SATA drive. Not the end of the world there are adapter up on New Egg for about $15-20! And yes look at the jumpers on the back with luck the drive has the settings stamped on it if not you will have to go to the manufacturers site and do a model search so you set them correctly. Best of luck!!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 26 January 2010 - 08:22 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

I think you may be thinking of SCSI OldPhil. They are a 50 pin connector I believe.

Still can be had and are in service but primarily in servers and business environments.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

I think you may be thinking of SCSI OldPhil. They are a 50 pin connector I believe.

Still can be had and are in service but primarily in servers and business environments.

No before SCSI!! I can't quite remember it was like MFRRB the cable was as wide ad the drive, they were in the old IBM AT's. I had a couple of them in my office, I remember they were 10meg drives that weighed about 4lbs. I kept one machine just for word processing it had UNIX on it, it ran 24 hours a day for 11 years then for no apparent reason just died LOL!!! I have building and fooling with this stuff since 1972. Don't mean I know much but I try!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:19 AM

:flowers:

Actually Spectacle mentioned that two were installed with 3.1 then 95 and 98SE.

Older HDDs than IDE or ATA, if we need to get technical,would rarely accept Windows 95 or 98SE, and I very much doubt that XP would accept those Drives either unless a lot of work is done, making it cost negative all around.

So, my advice to Spectacle is simple, if your XP machine has IDE/ATA HDD connecters like in the Link I showed, that is quite a good walkthrough on how to fit them up as Slaves. Just go ahead and install them and enjoy. Just make sure you get your Virus Buster to check out the HDD before you open any thing? If your XP Machine has SATA HDD then that is totally different and I will shut up.

:thumbsup:

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

The old drives are probably IDE drives.
The simplest solution, and one I do all the time, is to disconnect the cdrom drive(s) from the system you want to copy the data onto. They are almost always IDE. That way you dont have to change any jumpers to configure master/slave at all.

Old Phil, I think the drives you are referring to might be RLL or MFM drives. They predated SCSI. I remember them well as they would actually drift. You had to run SpinRite on them at least once a year.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

The old drives are probably IDE drives.
The simplest solution, and one I do all the time, is to disconnect the cdrom drive(s) from the system you want to copy the data onto. They are almost always IDE. That way you dont have to change any jumpers to configure master/slave at all.

Old Phil, I think the drives you are referring to might be RLL or MFM drives. They predated SCSI. I remember them well as they would actually drift. You had to run SpinRite on them at least once a year.

THANKS for all replies guys!

Eyesee, I think we have a winner there! I'll connect at CDROM and call it good, that's soooo easy, thanks!

Yes, these are all IDE, but I remember those old monster cables. I had some kind of IBM typewriter/computer as my first machine, you know, about 100kb of capacity and 3kb of memory hah! Also an old DOS only machine. Both had those cables, should have kept both as museum pieces.

Thanks again for the fast help, looks like I'm in good shape now. These old drives contain the only copies of 3 or 4 books I wrote. I got hurt before I could ever send to a publisher, now time to open them up, dust them off and let them fly!

2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

Simpler than messing with the jumpers
Hope it works out
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 stines

stines

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:50 PM

Can't this person go to a store, such as Staples, that offers to transfer the stuff from your old computer, to your new 1? Yes, it will cost money to get it done, but unless you really know a lot about computers, you could do more harm than good. After all, do you really want your new computer to 'go on the warpath'? :thumbsup:

#11 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:26 AM

We are here to help?

If it can save Members money and teach them along the way, so be it.

Maybe you could Learn also?

No offense ever intended.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 22 April 2010 - 01:28 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

If you are uncomfortable with fiddling with the innards of the computer, then i recommend getting an external enclosure.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:58 AM

?????????????????? :thumbsup: ?????????????
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

Yep, very hard to understand when you see this, Mate.

People really try to Help others out and along comes this????????

It justs makes most people just cry.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#15 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:46 PM

Thanks very much to all who posted!

Very sorry to say I never got back to reply because the good machine I was talking about crashed! I was left without a computer for weeks! By the time I had gone through considerable chin-dribbling & mumbling insanity this post was long forgotten. Just 'found' it tonite!

I have another machine set up temporarily; but I will be using your most excellent advice in the course of rebuilding and all replies are very much appreciated, THANKS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users