Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video card crash, and now whole computer wont boot?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

I was just browsing on the internet, and suddenly my screen went black. I waited less than a minute, and it flashed back on, and a little message on the bottom right of my screen said " Your Nvidia GeForce 8500gt driver crashed, and has been recovered" (I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x86). It worked fine after that until today. I was again, just browsing,...and the screen shut off..but this time it didnt recover. So I powered off the computer and rebooted it, the bios startup displayed fine, as did the windows loading screen, but when the log in screen should have came up, it was just a black screen with several (what appeared to be) dead pixels on the screen. My screen dosen't have dead pixels, this was the card displaying them, and when i moved the mouse..you could see the pointer very faintly behind a bunch of these dead pixels that were following it. I again, shut the comptuer down. I tried restarting again, but this time it wont boot up period. I after all of this noticed that the fan on the Graphics card is NOT spinning, I put one of those PCI fans under the video card temporarily until I can figure out if this card is still good, and then order a new fan. I havent yet been able to get the computer to display anything. It sounds like its booting up (Hard drives are spinning up) but i dont hear any windows sounds. I even pulled the card out and plugged into onboard video...nothing...

Any help would be awesome,
Thanks
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

Make sure in your BIOS Setup you have only the on board video enabled.
Upon bootup hold the F8 key to boot into safe mode.
Uninstall the Gforce drivers.
Reboot.
Let us know what happens.

If your video cards fan was not spinning, it might be because it requires a seperate power connection from the power supply, check your owners manual.
You most likely fried your graphics card's chip.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

The fan has a power plug that goes onto the graphics card chip. It used to spin. THe computer dosent display anything when turned on. It only appears to be running (fans spinning, hard drives spinning) But nothing is displayed,, not even BIOS anymore.

Thanks

Edit: I tried taking out the video card and running hte computer using onboard video..Still wont display anything.

Edited by Johnny Boy, 27 January 2010 - 01:11 PM.

Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users