Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

physical memory query

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 atreiou

atreiou

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:07 PM

Hi all, this is actually my first post too... but basically my physical memory usage as stated by the task manager is always really high, like 70% + - my paging file was 3000 and my RAM is a gig, and I just upped the paging file to 5000 thinking it might help but someone the physical memory usage went up to 82%!?

I don't get what's going on. I've analysed all the processes going on behind the scenes and stuff but there's nothing that should be rinsing the physical memory like that... Maybe I've misunderstood exactly wot physical memory is or something?

as it stand i just checked it again and it's been running at 870meg consistantly for the last 5 mins at least, and yet the only thing I'm using is firefox! any ideas please?

cheers...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

hello

1gb of ram is not enough for vista, I have 3gb and physical memory in task manager is 38% right now with just google chrome open...

you could try to reset your theme to a lower setting (like basic or classic) see if that helps. right click on desktop and choose "personalize" > theme > choose basic (from the drop down box) click apply and see if this helps....

what version of vista are you using? (is aero applied in themes?)

you could try using a spare flash drive for readyboost to see if that helps...

try the memory diagnostics test in vista, type memory in the search box, that will bring it up.. just click it and run the test to be sure!

best of luck !!
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

1gb of ram is not enough for vista

That's one very good point. You'd be much better with 2GB.

Regarding this:

basically my physical memory usage as stated by the task manager is always really high, like 70% + - my paging file was 3000 and my RAM is a gig, and I just upped the paging file to 5000 thinking it might help but someone the physical memory usage went up to 82%!?

Vista and Windows 7 handle RAM very different, than previous Windows versions.
In layman terms, starting with Vista, Windows motto regarding RAM is: "Unused RAM is a wasted RAM. I'll take everything, you give me".
More info:
Why Does Vista Use All My Memory? - http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 atreiou

atreiou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

cheers guys those answers make a ot of sense. The only thinking that isn't adding e up at the moment is that something has happened recently where usage is higher than normal, and the hard drive light is flickering almost constantly now, but nothing's running, so i check out the processes and yeah there's a whole nuch of stuff that looks like it's draining the computer but i have no idea how to analayse wot's doing wot, or even how to get rid of unneeded processes, like i installed mysql ages ago, then uninstalled it, but there's still a process in there called mysql.exe and it appears to be have been allocated loooooads of memory and seems to be running! it's a wierd one, its like there's loads of ghost processes running and i can't identify where they are or turn them off...

my laptop has a partition with all the files i need to make a boot CD - i'm thinking of just completley wiping the laptop and reinstalling windows, but not sure how to go about it correctly, and pointers?

cheers guys, lots of help...

#5 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

hello again :huh:

If it's a laptop you can set it back to factory settings with the click of a couple keys... http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-s...structions.html
If thats what you want, its really painless.

Go to start > type msconfig click on msconfig (in the menu) click OK @ UAC prompt > startup tab > see how much stuff starts, any thing you don't want to start just uncheck it and reboot...
(the only thing you really need to start is your anti virus)

While you are in msconfig, go to "boot" tab theres a little box on the right side that says "timeout" and probably has 30 seconds in the box, change that to 3 seconds. (this will speed your startup time!)...click apply and reboot.... good luck with whatever you decide. :huh:
Have A Great Day

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

Be aware. Msconfig is not a preferred method for disabling start-up items. Many programs that load at start-up can and should be disabled from with-in the specific program.

Some programs need to run at start-up for them to function properly. In my experience there are several AIO printers for an example that require starting at least one process with Widows for full functionality.

Use due diligence, and research when disabling start-up items. Many times it comes down to trial and error.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:14 PM

Be aware. Msconfig is not a preferred method for disabling start-up items.

hello

As a little test I just put "autoruns" on my laptop, enabled everything in "msconfig" startup tab... disabled the exact same items in autoruns....

It added about 12 seconds to my startup time, (21 loading bars) why?

Thanks

PS: I put everything back the way I had it, and I'm back down to 9 loading bars.. (thats how i timed my experiment !!) :huh:
Have A Great Day

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:05 PM

Curious. But do`t have a clue.

#10 atreiou

atreiou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

thanks again guys, had a look at the info provided by msconfig and autoruns and there is sooo much stuff that shouldn't be running, let alone starting up on boot... However, I have decided to attach the autoruns file first as I am intrigued as to Broni's next piece of advice. I shall make my move from there...

Thanks all...

Attached Files

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

You have quite few unneeded startup, but it's not crucial at this point, because your computer is infected.
Start new topic in appropriate section.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 atreiou

atreiou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

erm, cheers, but wot's it infected with? i can't start a new topic if i don't know what to start it about lol..

thanks

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

Start new topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ just stating, that your computer is infected and they'll ask you to run some scans.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 atreiou

atreiou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

ok cheers, all, will do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users