Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slipstream correct sata driver in a custom installation cd dilemma

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 voltronDefender

voltronDefender

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

Hi :) ;

I am not a techy and I need some help to slipstream a sata controller driver to a custom windows installtion cd but I cannot determine what file or folder in the driver archive I downloaded from my mobo manufacturer. My mobo is an old ECS KT600a with an Athlon XP 2000 and I have downloaded the SATA driver from the ECS website which is via_43g.zip.

I have a 320gb WD hdd SATAII which I will lock to SATA1 speed via a jumper also according to WD guidelines.

I use nLite for slipstreaming and when I am to select the driver I am confused as to what will I select. My OS is WinXP SP3. What will I select so I will have the right driver to install? :thumbsup: The zip archive shows: (Please see images attached)

via_43g > drvdisk > VISTA
> X64
> X86
textsetup.oem

x86 > NT4 >
> NT5 >

What will I select from the x86 folder? (it is x86 folder isn't it for 32bit system Wiindows XP SP3..correct?)

Is it NT4 or NT5?

I understand that in nLite you can select a folder or a specific file. Which of the two is the most correct to use?

If I can select a folder can NT4 or NT5(whichever is correct) be sufficient? :flowers:

Or;

do I need to select a specific .inf OR .sys file? :trumpet:

My plan is to clone the existing old hdd-ide to the new sata drive. For that I will be using Acronis True Image Home 11 (in clone disk>automatic mode).

I just need to format the new drive with the CORRECT SATA driver (before performing the ATI cloning) and I am at a loss as to what will I be selecting in nLite. I previously did a slipstream using the motherboard cd-driver SATA folder contents but when I was done it did not recognize the new drive. The reason I downloaded the new driver from ECS website.

Can you guide me on this one please. The ECS website doesnt have a forum for technical suppor but only via a support ticket and up to now there is no reply. :inlove:

Help please. :cool:

Thank you very much. :P

Edited by voltronDefender, 26 January 2010 - 05:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

You want the drivers in the x86 folder (x86 denotes the CPU series) and then the files in the NT5 (XP) folder. XP is sometimes known as NT5, since it followed NT4/Win 2K and has many of the same/similar principles. Whatever files are the NT5 folder should be slipstreamed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 January 2010 - 08:21 PM.

#3 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:37 PM

Hi hamluis :cool: ;

Thanks for the reply! :) I was thinking of you when I posted this one. That explains it very well to me! :thumbsup: Wow, I think you are the resident hdd guru here. I've read some of your posts and reply on hdd issues and you really helped the members a lot :flowers: . Hard to be "not a techy" in this day and age and through you guys I am learning a lot and having more confidence trying to make a fix out of my pc.

A couple of inquiries please:

So when I use nLite I'll just select the multiple folder where the NT5 is located and integrate the drivers....correct?

What may be some ill effects or known results of wrong sata driver installation other than the drive not being detected?

Also, if I may add, will cloning not affect the MBR of the new hdd? I ask because ( as mentioned in the original post) I am planning to use ATI to clone my old IDE to the new sata hdd.

Is there any other way to install drivers other than the use a floppy and press F6 or slipstreaming the drivers to the installation disc?

How can I update the driver that I slipstreamed when a new updated driver comes by?

I hope I did not bore you on my inquiries, really not a "techy" here.. :inlove:

Anyway, thanks again! :trumpet:

Regards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users