Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Time cell Phone buyer needs help, Please

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ziva

Ziva

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:37 PM

I am looking to buy my first cell phone. I don't need anything fancy: no camera, no music, no special applications. I just want a basic, easy to use phone to have with me in case I ever need to make a call and can't find a phone booth.

The one feature I must have is a volume control so I can hear the person speaking to me better. I am hard of hearing and have trouble hearing on the phone at normal levels.

I was thinking of getting a Jitterbug phone, but they strike me as being over-priced. They want $149 to buy, $30 to activate, and $19.95 a month for 50 minutes - their lowest rate. The phone looks easy enough to use and would likely fit my needs. But I'm wondering if I'd be paying more than what it's worth.

Would anyone recommend a Jitterbug, or should I look for something else? If so what phone would you recommend?

Thank you,

Ziva

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

I not sure where you're from but here in the USA there are many Pre-Paid Cellphone options available they are usually better options (In my opinion). I've had a few Virgin Mobile phones purchased at Wal-mart for less than $20 and my usage usually required me to get about $20 worth of airtime a month (the rate at the time was $0.10 per minute). Trac-fone, Boost Mobile, and Net-10 are the 3 other Stand-alone Prepaid cell carriers but most major national brands also offer some form of pre-paid service as well as their usual monthly subscription services (Although phone prices are higher than the stand alone companies).

As to which one works best, it depends on where you live.

Posted Image

#3 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:36 PM

Thank you for responding. I live in the US. Do any of the phones you mention have the volume feature that will allow me to better able to hear the person I am talking too? I've looked at different models online, but none say if they have that feature or not.

Thanks again,

Ziva

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

Most phones have volume settings (everyone i've ever owned since 2002 has). Some have volume "rockers" on the side of the phone (Rockers are switches that you rock one way to raise and one way to lower). Some phones require you to access the feature settings to turn the volume up and down.

Take this Motorolla phone from Net10 press the up and down arrows on the keypad (the top and bottom of the circle) during a call to raise and lower the volume.
http://www.net10.com/phone_details.jsp?model=UCMTST_007795

If i may make a suggestion, start with Picking the top Cell phone carriers in your area (which ones have the best service) then find the phone with the features you need (ie. big numeral screen, volume control) all carriers have multiple phones with different options so finding a phone with the right features will be easier once you find a carrier that will give you service where ever you need it.

Posted Image

#5 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I'll take a look and see what my local carriers have to offer.

Ziva

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

I have a couple of Walmart phones
For me, they OK and serve their purpose, but I just have that feeling that you will be disappointed the loudness of the volume
A higher quality phone with less backround noise would be a little better
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

Thank you. I was kind of thinking more mid-range price models. Though all I really need is a basic phone for occasional use. Some of the phones available make my PC sound downright ancient.

Ziva

#8 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:52 AM

Thank you. I will check it out.

Ziva

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

Hello Ziva, As you havea special need I suggest yu go to a cell phone store (AT&T) for example. There you can see and ask what is available. Try it out and make sure it is loud enough.
Ask about a phone Plan to go with it? You may get a free phone. I say this as I've seen 450 minutes there (AT&T) and free phone with 2 yr sign up,$ 40/mo.

Edited by boopme, 29 January 2010 - 12:05 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:41 AM

Thank you Boopme for the suggestion. I would like to be able to try one out before I buy. Seems like most stores have their phones either behind a glass case - with no clerk in sight - or packaged in blister wrap.

Ziva

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:09 AM

Hi again. That's why I say a larger store or the MFR's kiosks. Perhaps you are more rural than I but if you google the locations of AT&T near you you should find one with real humans :blink: .. I know as I had to do it once when I broke mine.. I waited a bit in line of 3 persons,but was helped quite adequately.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 HydroLar

HydroLar

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

Looks like I'm rather late in replying to this topic but, 'what the heck'.

I have a Jitterbug for my personal cell phone and I can give the 'good' and 'bad' to whomever is interested.

The keypad is huge and back-lit but with few built in functions - the phone functions entirely with 'yes', 'no' buttons. Your phone list is maintained via the Jitterbug website and can be changed on the phone but is a little cumbersome. There is a nice voice recognition dialer built in and I'm able to get service where no one else can. The sound quality could be improved somewhat and if there is a volume button I cannot find it.

The phone is expensive - at least $150 USD but monthly service with voice mail costs about $15.00 per month but I signed up in Dec 2007 so maybe rates have changed. Minutes are separate and purchased in blocks of 250, 500 or 1000 for somewhere around $.17 per minute. Sometimes voice mails do not appear in my box for up to 3 days and sometimes I get duplicate messages.

You can hit '0' for a Jitterbug operator who will do anything for you from finding phone numbers and connecting you to transferring you to the person where you can instantly purchase minutes.

Purchased minutes are good for a year and then unused minutes are lost. Texting is charged per text and probably expensive but since I have no one to text I do not use this feature so do not know the cost. The phone is bulky with a built-in ring that I find a little irritating but the ringer can be customized to the person calling on the Jitterbug website.

All in all my rating for Jitterbug is about average or slighty above average. It would probably be cheaper to stick with a Walmart cell phone as suggested by garmana.
Posted Image

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

#13 shambhu11

shambhu11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

If you're looking for volume, the Jitterbug's definitely got it. I once had it set to speaker phone and was holding it against my ear when a call came in. It was really loud. Positives - are additional services (called apps). Negatives - limited number of contacts in phone's addressbook (up to 50 I think).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users