Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot uninstall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tuckered

tuckered

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

I am new to this forum and I hope I am at the right place. Last week I down loaded Spybot search and destroy and it seemed to drag my computer down some how. CPU usage was at 100% so I decided to uninstal with add and remove programs, thinking that it was the problem.(Now running fine) And was going to download Superantispyware and give it a try. In the process I noticed in program files a folder Spy-bot search and destroy. In that folder advcheck.dll and tea timer. Also not in that folder but in program files Spydotsd162 "safer network limited".What is the best way to remove this from computer. Running XP, Norton 360. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:07 PM

Hi and Welcome to BleepingComputer,

If you have already uninstalled the program there is no reason you cannot just delete those files. Many programs leave files behind after uinstallation and you can just delete those. If you do not need the space and are nervous about removing them, you can just leave them but if the program has been uninstalled, they are not doing anything and there is no need for them to be there.

Just so you know, it was just the Teatimer function in Spybot that was slowing your system down. I keep Spybot on my system but do not use the Teatimer function so Spybot is not running at all unless I open the program. When Teatimer is on, then it is running in the background at all times and that is what slows systems down.

SuperAntiSpyware is a better program for detection and removal of spyware and the free version does not run in the background, only on demand. If you leave the box checked for the icon to appear in the system tray it will appear it is running but it is not. I uncheck that box. I do not use the paid version because I do not see any need to have it run any way but on demand.

Edited by Stang777, 26 January 2010 - 05:15 PM.

#3 tuckered

tuckered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

Thanks so much for the reply Stang777. I have very much enjoyed bleeping :thumbsup: forum.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

You are very welcome :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users