Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it okay to backup my files to Carbonite before reformat...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beckyf

beckyf

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

I got hit with the Internet Security 2010 virus last weekend, and according to what I've been reading here, if I use my computer for banking (which I do), it'll probably be safest to wipe the hard drive and start from scratch.

I had backed my files up to my external hard drive a few days before that virus hit, but have some additional stuff to back up, and now don't dare use my external hard drive for it with this mess on my computer.

Do you think it would be okay to back everything up to Carbonite first? My files don't seem to be infected, just my computer itself.

Carbonite says it would put something on my computer to run, so I wasn't sure if I'd be making more mess for myself by using Carbonite, or would this be a good idea?

This is the first time I've EVER had a problem like this--I've just learned to keep my grandsons off my computer. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

The problem is if there are any remnants of the problem they may cause issues with anything backed up off the computers drive and be passed on to the new setup. You would be better off printing what you can and not saving or transferring any data.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 beckyf

beckyf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:07 AM

Thank you for replying.

I didn't know this, so had been trying to install Carbonite last night, but my computer is so messed up right now, Carbonite wouldn't install completely, so I wasn't able to use it anyway.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:19 AM

Thank you for replying.

I didn't know this, so had been trying to install Carbonite last night, but my computer is so messed up right now, Carbonite wouldn't install completely, so I wasn't able to use it anyway.

With you still having issues it is almost guaranteed there is still some junk left on your machine, like I said save what you can to print you have no real options to be safe.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users