Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User account got changed.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:58 AM

The user account I use, named Skynet, has administrator privileges. Some time back, its almost a month now, I was tinkering with some software, it was about turning XP into Windows 7 or some such thing, and it took a long while to install, and boot, and it kept thrashing the HDD, so I finally removed it with Revo uninstaller. I just got a theme from deviantart that didn't need any installing and things have been running smoothly since then.

The only problem is that now I've got two folders in the "Documents and Settings" folder, one is called "Skynet", which is the old user account, and there's another one that made itself, called "Skynet.O-175D87E694N38". I've changed the numbers while writing them here since I don't know what they are. Now the main account that is being used is this numbered Skynet, the other one seems to be just lying there. I used Unlocker to find out out if it (plain Skynet) is being used, and it showed many programs using that folder, and when I clicked unlock all, everything else got unlocked except for four process under the name of System. I then started deleting the folders inside plain Skynet, and there were one or two folders that were just stuck and wouldn't budge at all and they didn't even have the option to change the owner permissions, so I had to boot from a Linux live CD and delete it all.

The computer is now working properly, so deleting plain Skynet doesn't seem to have made a difference. However, I'd like to ask what this whole thing about the numbered Skynet is. If I want to enter a folder with the command prompt, I have to type all these numbers, just typing Skynet doesn't help. In Control Panel > User Accounts, it shows the name as only Skynet, I've tried renaming it from there but it doesn't help.

Anything I could do to make it Skynet again, or will I have to make a new account? I'm the only one using the computer.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users