Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another slow computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johndepere

johndepere

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

Hello all, I have an issue with a computer that I have purchased from a friend. I do not know what was originally wrong with this unit but instead of investigating I decided to wipe it clean and re install the op system which I did as well as update all drivers and the BIOS. The computer seems to operate as it should but at certain times when I open more than one app it will get very slow and stop responding and the I get multiple error report messages. It seems to do ok on the internet and when I am care full to only open programs one at a time. I have followed all the steps listed on the slow computer help section to a "T" and am confident any of the issues listed there are not the problem. This computer is an HP A1210n running xp professional ,3500 AMD athilon 64 processor, with 512 mb of ram. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. John.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

IMO 512 ram is not sufficient to run these late systems, I ran for about a months with 1g was not happy and upped it to 2g. I do not play any games just normal surfing and standard programs.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:08 AM

Old Phill, Thanks for your input. I guess I was thinking that I needed more ram but I want to make sure I am not missing something. So your thinking I should go with 2 gigs? Is there any place on the net that you would recommend to buy this.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

Do you have a lot of programs running on startup? What antivirus program are you running?

I only have 640 meg of ram with a pentium 3 and my system is never slow, even when runnign multiple programs. Right now I have 4 open and it doesn't run any slower than if I only had one open. I don't play any resource intense games but I do play other games on here and never have a problem with speed. Maybe the difference is that I am running XP Home instead of Pro and have not updated to SP3, i don't know, but I have never felt the need for more ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users