Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Links on Google search results being redirected

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Jarron

Jim Jarron

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:33 AM

Hello

My problem is twofold. Whether or not the two problems are related or not I don't know.

The first is that any Google searches I perform are returning normal results, but when I click on the link to a page listed in the search results, I get various types of sites (such as pow1tooo.com, doomkorea.com, revenuelab.com, mosworld.com and big100gun.com to name just a few) rather than the site I want. If I click on the Google cached search result, I usually manage to get the page I wanted, but even this sometimes brings up these annoying search pages. My OS is Windows XP and I have been using mostly Opera 10.10 and occasionally Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.

The other problem I am experiencing is that the computer from time to time shuts down by itself. A dialog box appears headed “System Shutdown” saying “This system is shutting down. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM” and “Windows must now restart because the DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated unexpectedly”.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TekIT

TekIT

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:18 AM

Hi Jim,

From what you have described the PC could be infected. Those web addresses you are being redirected to are very suspect.

Do you have any anti-virus or anti-spyware software installed?

#3 Jim Jarron

Jim Jarron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:29 PM

Hi

Thanks for the response. The Antivirus program I am running is the free version of AVG and I also have Lavasoft AdAware installed. I have AVG configured to automatically download updates and I usually check for AdAware updates once a week or so. I'm at work at the moment, so I can't check what versions they are until I get home tonight, but I'm pretty sure they're both the latest ones.

#4 fullmetalsoccer

fullmetalsoccer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

Adaware is your problem. I advise you to delete it, because it is not one of the reliable anti-virus programs You also might want to see if your avg it legitimate.

#5 shenders66

shenders66

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:33 PM

I have been having the same issue on my daughter's computer. She does a search via Google and is given a list of links but when she clicks on one of the links she is redirected to Promotional or Advertising Web sites. If she manually types or copy/pastes the URL in she gets to the link she wants. I made Bing her default Search Engine and she seems to have no issues. At the moment the issue only seems to be with the Google Search Engine.

I can see an URL pop up briefly called "freecj" before we are sent to the Advertisement page. We have McAfee installed and it is not picking anything unusual up during it's scan. I assume I have some sort of Malware on the computer but can not find it. Someone mentioned using HijackThis to perform a scan and have someone here have a look at it. Good or bad idea?

#6 Jim Jarron

Jim Jarron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

The version of AVG I am using is 9.0 and the version of AdAware I am using is 8.0. the definitions are up to date. For a firewall I am using the Windows firewall, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea (after the problems I have described have been fixed) if I instal a firewall such as ZoneAlarm.

The problem with the computer shutting itself down was particularly bad last night for some reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users