Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Antivirus 2010

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sawrecoil

sawrecoil

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:31 AM

So Im a night auditor at a hotel. (currently on another computer). I logged in a couple hours ago and start doing some work. I then noticed this little XP looking icon in the taskbar that starts blinking with some security alerts. I didnt really think anything of it because we have a server connected to the pc which actually has tracking cookies in the software we use.

Fast forward about an hour later. This fake (but fairly realistic looking) antivirus pops up and starts running scans. Im thinking, "What? I dont remember any other antivirus other than symantic on here". So I close it down, and sure enough it wont close. Great! I save my work in Excel and close everything out. I open windows explorer only for the anti virus to all of a sudden tell me I can't access it due to security issues!

So i reboot in safe-mode and attempt to run my anti-virus. Guess what? Windows says its been misplaced. So I try IE, and that says the same thing.

What do I do now? I can't access any files or programs on the pc and re-installing windows will lose 10 months of data.

Can anyone help? This virus/spyware is called XP Antispyware 2010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sawrecoil

sawrecoil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:39 AM

I've figured out a back way to get into internet explorer if that helps

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:50 AM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.

Please describe the issues you are experiencing with your computer.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users