Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 Like it or Not?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:42 AM

:huh: Hey I was just wondering before I upgrade what you guys think of W7.

How is Performance, Compatibility, and Stability and your overall view of the O.S.?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 foromorian

foromorian

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

I installed Windows 7 and I think after a few things are worked out on it, it will be the next XP. That of course is my opinion. I am also a big gamer and Win 7 loves Call of Duty 2 on 7. It is also pretty to look at, like Vista but unlike vista is has some functionality.

I have only noticed one problem and it has been lately that the new Jan. update for Windows does not play nice with some of my games. I think after they release a few more patches to it, it will be better.

The games that didn't work with this update (that I noticed) are Space Trader and Torchlight.

I am in the end in love with Win 7.

Though since win 7 is still in development I would not use it for something business related. If you are going to get a computer to run a program that says that 7 is "in beta" do not do it. I know this because I do work support for customer owned PC's and since our program is still in beta for 7 it is not pretty sometimes. Though I can tell you now that I think after a while everything is going to move to 7.

Another thing is I have worked on a MAC too. Win 7 might have taken a few things from them. It is easier to use... and NO MORE RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR VISTA option.

That is what I think of it so far. I have been on 7 for about 3 months now and i have not regretted it yet. I have also heard it runs on slower systems too, unlike vista.

#3 MCF3778

MCF3778

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

I installed 7 ult X86 on a P4 3.6 with 1 gig ddr-400 pc3200 and it runs almost as good as XP pro, Vista would of made this setup cry and pass out! but I am still not ready to ditch XP on this laptop, only problem I have found on 7 is the wallpaper problem with the registry, but since that is not my computer I could not care less.

Edited by MCF3778, 26 January 2010 - 11:48 AM.

#4 kalpia

kalpia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:18 AM

I've used it a couple of time and so far it looks OK but I'm still an XP Pro guy. It reminds me of Office 03 vs Office 07, lots of visual changes for no reason other then a new look to sell. Maybe after the first SP comes out I'll change over, slowly, but until then it's the Oldy but Goldy.
To error is human, to forgive is against company policy

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:47 AM

I like many went to W7 from XP-PRO. I think it is a great operating system but it would be better if they would of left in OutLook Express. So far it is very easy to work with. I use Home Premium 64.

#6 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:01 AM

So far I like it, I have vista/7 dual boot setup, rarely use vista anymore. I had a few hick ups with drivers at first. All is good now, very stable.

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

Layback Bear

but it would be better if they would of left in OutLook Express.

May I enquire what mail program you use, in Win 7, or is all your email web-based.

Thanks.

#8 Arioch13

Arioch13

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

I tend to be pretty critical of MS where the criticism is fair. But in the case of Windows 7 I can honestly say that not only is it a vast improvement on Vista (Ok not that hard ) but from an objective non OS comparitive point of view it a big step forward. Certainly well worth upgrading vista.

Its not perfect but its a massive improvement over vista.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

Ditto! :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

petewills I use windstreem.net off of the web. It's a pain.

#11 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

Hi, LB

Looking through Google, Windows Live Mail has been suggested.

I understand also that it would be possible to use Outlook Express,
if you have Win 7 Professional and can therefore download the
Windows Virtual PC and run the program in Windows XP Mode.

Romeo29 has suggested Thunderbird; as usual there are differing views about it.

Not all of my accounts can be accessed through webmail, without paying further subscription fees,
so I am looking for a good alternative.

Thanks for reply, it's always useful to know which programs are loved or hated.

Pete.

#12 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

I find Windows live mail is a vast improvement over Outlook and Windows 7 is a very stable operating system. No problems here. I like it very much. Microsoft got it right this time. :huh:

#13 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

Thanks, I have it on my current XP system, it's fine, I've just been using OE for a long time - force of habit.

From Romeo29
Windows Live Mail is nice too but with Microsoft's security history... I stay away from it.

As always, opinion is divided, we all have our favourites.

#14 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:51 AM

I'm running Windows 7 (64bit) and it's done a very good job of being stable. The 2 problems I have are no email came with it, and IE8 is total crap.
So I use Incredimail, it's a free email program. And I use FIREFOX for a browser. Firefox from Mozilla also has an email program called THUNDERBIRD that a lot of people use and like.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#15 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:22 AM

I've had an opportunity to check out the new OS on a friend's laptop;
I am impressed and am planning to go for Win 7 Professional.

The email suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users