Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I load my hp pc xp os onto a gateway laptop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lisa1aguilar

lisa1aguilar

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:27 PM

Hello,

I have a hp pavillion lap top and with the lap top came, the OS Windows XP operating system cd and the driver/software cd. I have a gateway laptop, which has crashed, can I use the above cd's that came with the HP Pavillion on the Gateway?

My only concern realy, is the drivers and software, which I may or may I, get from the gateway website.

Yes, I am trying to save 20.00, but 20.00 is a 1/4 tank of gas, which is a lot, when you have lost your job....

Thank you for your input!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

I would not...but it's your system and you can do what you like with it.

Legally? No, if you read the terms of sale.

Gateway disks are made for Gateway systems, HP disks are made for HP systems...they are not tranferrable to systems made by a different manufacturer. They plan it that way.

Louis

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

You can try to load it. Will it work? Not likely. Will it be legal and able to get updates? No.

As hamluis says, your system you can do as you wish. We cannot condone the action and is a violation of forum rules to do so.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 lisa1aguilar

lisa1aguilar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

Well, thank you for the response. That it may not work, and I would not get updates. But can you tell me why this would be "illegal", as I own both computers, and the hp crashed (it is dead and burried), and I own the gateway, so, I own the os that came with the HP. So, if I own the OS, why would it be illegal? I am only trying to save 20.00 to purchase the os from gateway, when I already own one that is not in use? I am a little confused about this?...

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:33 PM

FWIW: No one "owns" software or an O/S...other than the developer of such.

What you have is a license to use such, according to the terms of the license. Read the purchase agreement on any software or O/S product and I think you will see what I mean.

If those terms allow you to move said software from one system to another, it's because of the specific terms of that license...not because you have purchased all rights/interests in such.

I don't "own" any version of XP...but I have several valid, legal licenses to use XP...in accordance with the terms constructed by Microsoft and which I tacitly agree to when I purchase my license.

Louis

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

hp and gateway both often have system restore cd's or dvd's for sale for a nominal fee. I paid 19.00 for hp and I think 17.00 for gateway/emachines. Dell recently offered one for 11.00.

They are usually tied to the bios and will not activate if installed on another brand.

However. I have one p4 hp laptop that had a cd key that worked on a desktop installed with a generic OEM xp cd.

That system runs linux now but it activated and updated while it was on there.

Your mileage may vary :thumbsup:

The HP restore is worth the cash if the laptop is working. The drivers dll hell from using a different branded OEM cd can be spectacular.

#7 lisa1aguilar

lisa1aguilar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

Oh, I see, and understand. After your post, I went on to the Gateway website to purchase the recovery cd's. Well, they are no longer offered. So, now I am in a bind, that I don't know how to get out of. I asked gateway, if I had a hp Microsoft xp os license (cd) can I load it. They said yes, and sent me the appropriate drivers from Gateway.

But from reading your post. This may not work at all?

Any suggestions, now that Gateway has kicked me to the door?

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

It might work just fine. If the disk allows you to install it and you use the license key that is on your Gateway it seems that would be legal and you would be able to update and everything. If it won't take the license key that is on your Gateway, then the disk is tied to the other computer and you might not be able to use it at all.

If it does not work, maybe if a friend has a regular retail copy of XP, one that matches the version that was on your Gateway, you could borrow that disk and install the operating system from that and just use the license key that is on your Gateway and that might work better.

Edited by Stang777, 26 January 2010 - 04:54 PM.

#9 lisa1aguilar

lisa1aguilar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

That was what I was thinking, but I don't know anyone who has a gateway....and now I know why. They do not offer recovery discs like hp does. My old old old lapttop, hp still offered the recovery discs....I don't know why gateway does this, I would think they would want extra 20.00....

Thank you for your help....so far, I was able to install the os. Now I the only problem I am having is getting the wireless to work. I don't know if gateway gave me the wrong driver. At this point, I think I might just attach the gateway to my dsl directly, see if I can get online and get the proper drivers.?

Thanks for your help!

#10 lisa1aguilar

lisa1aguilar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:26 AM

Thank you for all of our input. I chatted with HP, loaded the os with no problem, chatted with Gateway and installed the drivers. It is up and running. I was never asked for a serial number when I reloaded the os. I never was asked for one, on the original computer (the hp the os recovery discs I purchased)...Gateway, I am a little disgusted with because they no longer sell the recovery discs for the gateway laptop. It is horrible to chat with HP, if you ever had, you know what I mean, they don't seem to read what you wright, bur are very polite....Anyway, it worked, and all is good.

Thanks again!

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

Best option! Go on Ebay and buy the disc you need to get the Gateway going!

Some cheap stuff here: http://computers.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw...p;_osacat=11226

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users