Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a specific type of music player on linux!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 L0v3LESS

L0v3LESS

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

Okay so, I've gone through a lot of music players but none really fit the mold I'm looking for. Wondering if you geniuses here have any ideas?

NECESSITIES:
Must be able to handle large library with little hitches --> ~7500 songs and growing
Direct tag editing capability, library directory, add files to library directory, organize files/library automatically
SUPPORT FOR ASIAN CHARACTERS/UNICODE
LIGHTWEIGHT
NOT MPD BASED.
-- that's it!

iPod sync support would be nice. Currently using gtkpod, but it runs very slowly with the number of songs I have, but it's an improvement over Banshee which doesn't write over Asian characters properly. Amarok doesn't work.. songs don't play back to me. Songbird is way too heavy for my system.

Help? :'(

PS Linux noob.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willm

Willm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:15 PM

Hi,

Can you tell us what Linux distribution you are running so that we know what type of specs we are working with. That will really help us.

Cheers!

#3 L0v3LESS

L0v3LESS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:21 PM

In topic description, but okay.

Linux Mint 7 XFCE Community Edition.
Based off of Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04
Intel processor

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

I don't have an iPod, so I can't quickly recommend any one program. However, this link might interest you: http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08/10-al...ging-your-ipod/

EDIT: fixed grammar/spelling

Edited by MadDawg, 26 January 2010 - 03:05 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:09 PM

I use rhythmbox with the good, bad, and ugly plugins. My library is 20,233 songs and had about 100 Podcasts and videos (i've since deleted the podcasts and videos). Handled all that with minimal strain. Handled Japanese characters fairly well (not that i could read them). At one time my Library spanned 3 Hard Drives. The only things it didn't do was rip/burn CD's and handle Coverart (that I ever figured out how to use).

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users