Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes when I run virus scan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jamaican Beauty

Jamaican Beauty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

Hello, I need anyone's help. I have a Dell XPS M1330 running Windows Vista. I have been having my computer to freeze up on me during McAfee virus scan lately. I tried to uninstall and re-install it and it still freezes at same location:

C:\drivers\audio\R186858\stacgui.cpl.

When it freezes I have to do a hard shut down, and when it tries to boot back up it does a Chkdisk on my C:\ it said it is checking for consistency.

I have already done a diagnostic scan on hard drive and memory and no fails seem to comes back.

I used Eset to scan and it freezes at: C:\drivers\audio\R186858\st645866.dll

I used Avast scan and it freezes at: C:\drivers\audio\R186858\ctppld.dll

And when I tried to do the Malware scan it freezes at: C:\drivers\audio\R186858\ctapo64.dll

I already tried to do ATF-Cleaner and it cleaned up some stuff for me, but still no luck.

I'm not for sure what else to do. This all started out when I watched a free movie on-line and a lot of pop-ups started to come up, and they said something about C:\fake location as well. I was able to communicate with Dell tech person and he fixed it because I was able to scan, but now it's kind of back to it's old thing. And sometimes it freezes up online.

I don't know what to do please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

Welcome to BC

Does your computer have sound?
When you said you tried to do the Malware scan, were you referring to Malwarebytes?

See if SAS will work

SAS, may take a long time to scan
Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
    First
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
Note.. SAS doesn't open the registry hives for other user accounts on the system, so scans should be done from each user account.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Jamaican Beauty

Jamaican Beauty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

Okay since my first post I was able to run the Malware software in safe mood before I uninstalled the "C:\drivers\audio\R186858 and the only thing that came back was some "HiJackThis" file so I deleted it, but I know that had nothing to do with it.

I was told to uninstalled "C:\drivers\audio\R186858" and I was able to run my McAfee virus scan, nothing came back though. I do know that my laptop froze up at the end, but I did it again it worked fine. I also ran my Avast virus scan on 1/26/10 and I just saw today that it came back with some corrupted files and unreadable files from the scan that I ran on 1/26/10. I have not reinstalled "R186858" yet, but while I do that. Do you know why, when I restart my computer or shut down my computer the proper way, I am still getting the "check disk" scan? It's like on a black screen with white words and it says it's running a scan for consistency.

Lately when it did the check disk scan it checks it out pretty average, but when I turned on my pc yesterday and the check disk scan started it began going crazy streaming all kinds of things like "Delete corrupt attribute, Deleting index entry, Corrupt error in index, Recovering oprhan file, Inserting an index entry with ID, Repairing the security file record segment, and Inserting data attribute into file" It was going pretty fast so I couldn't get the file types. So I was thinking that maybe it was deleting the file and directory that was corrupted and unreadable that the Avast virus scan picked up on 1/26/10. What you think?

--------------------------

Yes, I'm talking about the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware software. I ran it just a few minutes ago and there was no Malicious items found this time. Yes I still have sound. Do you think I should reinstall the "R186858" since I have sound? Okay do you think I should still do the the Super Anti-Spyware you mentioned to me about?

Thanks for your help

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:35 PM

I would try downloading a fresh copy of the audio driver:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=235779

Installation instructions at the bottom of the page
That was Vista 32 bit correct?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users