Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looping agent.exe causing slow computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Swaney

Swaney

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

Problem with my Windows XP (SP2) running slow for about a week. Diagnosed it to the "agent.exe" process located in :\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService that was burning up 25%-30% CPU constantly. Tried renaming "agent.exe" to "agent.OLD" then a previous installation of Roxio MediaManager (for Blackberry) popped up like it was trying to install and "agent.exe" recreated again using high CPU and slowing things down.

I recognize this was an installation that didn't complete (but if I bring up BlackBerry desktop the MediaManager appears to be functional).

Nothing in Add/Remove Programs to Uninstall for Roxio MediaManager.

I've tried doing the rename and then letting Roxio MediaManager attempt to 'complete' it's installation (with requisite reboot) but agent.exe starts looping again.

I see that apparently this MacroVision InstallShield is integral to Windows so have not renamed the whole InstallShield directory to something bogus ("InstallShield-Old" or something like that).

I am comfortable with regedit. Don't see this Roxio Startup in
CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx or CurrentVersion\RunOnce
although I do see RoxTray set to comp up in CurrentVersion\Run

Any ideas on getting this "agent.exe" to stop burning my CPU?

Running Windows XP Professional Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-do-i-di...up-t178755.html.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users