Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Disk Space

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mestuprancid

mestuprancid

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

For the past 2 weeks every time I even open my laptop to do anything I get the bubble pop up "You are running low on disk space, click here to clean up some files" so i do it and about every 10 minutes its up again.

I have not installed anything new recently so I dont understand why getting this, I also uninstalled Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop hoping that would clear up plenty of space... It has done nothing to stop the message.

Ive ran Malwarebytes, CC Cleaner, Spyware Blaster and Spybot search and Destroy (which everytime I start windows it tells me theres an error with tea time?) I dont know if that has anything to do with it.. Or maybe I have some type of virus thats being overlooked by my programs.

I have put in a new version on McAfee virus scan that was given to me but that was months ago, maybe that could be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

Well...how large is C: and how much free space is there on it?

Louis

#3 mestuprancid

mestuprancid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:49 PM

my c drive is almost completely full, but like i said i hadnt addded any programs, and even uninstalled some and this drive is still almost completely full.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

When any container is too full...the solution is to move some of the contents...somewhere else.

If you are running out of disk apace on C:, then I suggest moving data files (music, videos, etc.) somewhere else (another drive, another partition, CD, DVD, etc.).

It's generally recommended that XP have about 15% free space to function effectively.

If you are running XP's System Restore function...that uses up space.

If you have hibernation enabled, that uses up partition space.

If you don't empty the Recycle Bin on the Desktop, that uses up partition space.

The best alternative is to move video files, graphics files, and music files to a different location, IMO. those will be the largest files on a system.

Louis

One tool you can use to see what the largest files are: TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/.

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2010 - 01:35 PM.

#5 mestuprancid

mestuprancid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

Yea i already keep all my pictures and music on an external drive. What i dont understand is that like a month ago i had a good amount of space of my c drive and then i randomly started getting low space warnings, I did not add any new programs or anything so thats why im wondering if its some type of virus that my mc afee isnt picking up on maybe?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

Well...if you would actually tell us how much free space is on C:...and how large C: actually is....someone could give you an intelligent guess as to what it might not be.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users