Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RealTek RTL8100B card - orange LED is always on!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nexus

nexus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:37 PM

I have a computer with a M6VLR (http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m6vlr) motherboard that has an integrated RealTek RTL8100B network card, and I can't get my linux (ubuntu) to detect it. And now that I think about it, it didn't work even when I had windows installed...

Anyway, I've tried alot of stuff and nothing seems to work, so I was wondering if maybe the card was damadged, after all there's an orange LED beside the card's jack that's on day and night, and there's nothing connected to it (the jack, that is), it's on even when the computer's off. So I was thinking maybe someone out there could have seen something like this, I've tried finding a manual for my card with google but have had no luck.

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me if there's anything to do before I decide to just buy a new NIC.
</message>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:12 PM

RealTeks driver download page goes to this page when you search their drivers for RTL8100B. There are Specs and Linux drivers there. Maybe those drivers will work.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:06 AM

What are you plugged into? Router, modem, hub, switch? Have you tried a different ethernet cable? If it's a router, hub or switch have you tried changing ports?
I had a Linksys route that had a RJ-45 port go bad. Everything else, including the other 3 ports were fine.
If Leurey's suggestion does not work try the NIC. A used on is only $5 or a new one is $15.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 nexus

nexus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:56 AM

RealTeks driver download page goes to this page when you search their drivers for RTL8100B. There are Specs and Linux drivers there. Maybe those drivers will work.

Yeah, I've been there, they don't seem to have a driver for my kernel version (2.6.x) so I haven't tried downloading and installing one of those... but maybe I sholuld give the latest one (for kernel 2.4.x) a try.

What are you plugged into? Router, modem, hub, switch? Have you tried a different ethernet cable? If it's a router, hub or switch have you tried changing ports?

I'm plugged to a cable modem, and it works fine (with this computer, at least) so I'm guessing it must be the network card.

And I just had an idea! maybe I should try installing a different Linux distribution before buying a new NIC, just to check if that one detects it...

Edited by nexus, 28 August 2005 - 12:01 PM.

</message>

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:43 PM

If you know someone who has a USB NIC, try it before you buy one.
Try to run Puppy Linux. It's only 60meg and will run from a CD. You should be on the Net in less than five minutes. Download, then burn an ISO image to disk. It has a GUI ethernet configuration tool under the settings tab.
Hope this helps.

Download the ninth file "puppy-1.0.4-mozilla.iso"

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/

Edited by acklan, 28 August 2005 - 01:50 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users