Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Insufficient system resources

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 silencio

silencio

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Hey all.

My PC isn't co-operating well any longer. If I run a full system check in Norton Antivirus for instance I can't finish the search/remove threats because of "insufficient system resources". Or if I am running a few programs, let's say MSN, Firefox and Football Manager 2010 (game) at the same time, fonts in MSN convos "disappears" and become just blank. Yet again "insufficient system resources". Or if I take a break and leave it on, come back lets say two hours later I have to reboot it coze it can't do anything then. "insufficient system resources".

It might be time to buy a new PC as this one is getting quite old, but lately it's gone from bad to worse. Today I only runned Football Manager (through Steam) and tried to copy some files over to a USB-stick, but it couldn't copy the files coze of "insufficient system resources". I want to find out what's wrong and delay the buy of a new PC as I'm quite short on money at the moment. I've runned Malwarebytes and a full check in Spyware Doctor and it's not showing any signs to virus, trojans, malware etc. But maybe I have something after all?!

I've recently done a Hijackthis check. Shall I post the log?

Got 4,90GB out of 149GB free on C: and 18,6GB out of 149GB free on D:

I am on a Fujitsu Siemens Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.06GHz, 3.06GHz, 1,00 GB RAM.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

<<Got 4,90GB out of 149GB free on C: and 18,6GB out of 149GB free on D:>>

What is the C: partition? What is the D: partition?

Please report the sizes and free space on each correctly, the numbers above appear incorrect.

Louis

#3 silencio

silencio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

It's in Norwegian but I think you will understand:

Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

Hmmm...if you can put that screenshot...in Details view (Vis), it will be more informative (IMO). Icons don't reflect free space, whereas details do.

Thanks.

Louis

#5 silencio

silencio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

Like this?
Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

Looks to me as if your C: partition does not have sufficient free space for XP to operate efficiently. The "standard" is somewhere around 15%.

Looks to me like you need to either get larger or more hard drives...or move some of your data files to CD/DVD.

Louis

#7 silencio

silencio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:03 AM

So you reckon that's the reason to my problems and by freeing some hard disk space it should be 'solved'?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:22 AM

Hardly anyone can say what will work on a computer...one can only attempt possible solutions and hope for the best.

Even seemingly identical computer systems...have been known to behave differently to the same set of practices, etc.

My approach is...I try what I can with Windows and programs and hope for the best. When my best doesn't work, I clean install. When that doesn't work, I start troubleshooting hardware, as best as I can.

New hardware and a clean install seem to eliminate all possible suspects, when I go that route. When that doesn't work, I take it to a local computer shop because I've probably spent too much time trying to solve it and cannot see the forest for the trees. It's happened twice in the last few years, so I don't assume that I will find a "solution" to anything.

I just try and see what happens.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users