Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pink lines and artifacs on screen Not video card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lordnikon678

lordnikon678

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

computer specs: Processor (AMD athlon 64 x2 4200+ socket 939) & stock cooling)
Motherboard (asus a8n32-sli deluxe)
Temperatures cpu 34c idle 55c full load, mb 33c idle 39c load
Ram (4 sticks, mixed brand (Kingston 512kb x3 ddr 2700 , g skill 1gb ddr 400).
Graphics card WAS A(ati radeon hd 3870 series 512mb)went blank,
tried geforce 7300le pink lines now brand new geforce 7200 gs same pink lines
Hard drives (1 SATA(II) seagate barracudda 320gb 7200rpm 16mb cache)
POWER SUPPLY (raidmax rx-630ss 630 total Watts the side of box says for voltage
dc output current-10a/5a
+3.3v-25.0a
+5v-25.0a
+12v1-22.0a
+12v222.0a
-12v-.05a
+5Vsb-2.0a
total output-630w).
power supply is 1 year old. Nothing is over clocked.

My problem is i had a radeon hd 3870 for a year. about 8 months ago it would have some pink lines come up where it would be white and green dots where it would be black or dark. it would stay for a few minutes a go away then started more frequently and for longer periods. 2 days ago the computer restarted with a flash of a blue screen the rebooted with no screen or sounds rebooted couple more times got 1 long beep 3 short and ami says its the graphics adapter so tried a card laying around geforce 7300 le 512mb 64 bit pci express fine all day yesterday even was over clocking it and testing all day with no problems. Used Rivatuner to overclock and video card stability test to stress test it and everything was good wnet from 37 fps to 50 fps tested for at least 10 - 15 minutes but the final test was 45 minutes long and 1.5 hours of modern warfare 2 on all low setting but 800x640 resolution. everything was perfect till i get the replacement radeon hd 3870. then this morning I have pink lines and artifacs from the moment i boot up. Not the monitor, when i shut it off and turn it back on it has its own screen that says asus in big white letters with no distorion what so ever even the no signal screen looks perfect. So I went a bought a geforce 7200 gs thinking i broke the 7300 le. Put the 7200gs in pink lines and artifacs from boot up. boot into windows and windows installs its own drivers (newer that the one that came on the geforce cd windows said) and a quick flash and pink lines and artifacs are gone great. Res was at 800x640 on my 22" monitor so i went to turn it up to 1280x 1024 the res I like and boom pink lines and artifacs are back. tried turning the resolution back down and up but lines and artifacs are still here. Tried cleaning the express slot thinking some dust is in there. Haven't tried ram but I thought it only shared memory with an onboard vide card. also tried other pci express slot but no change. could my mobo be going bad and how to tell.

I tried each stick of memory and there was no difference. I am realy leaning towards the mobo. I wish I had a pci card to see if that might work instead of pcie.

Edited by lordnikon678, 26 January 2010 - 12:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:19 AM

hmmm peculiar problem, usually artifacts mean bad video card, though it appears at least on the surface its not. have you tried the monitor on another computer? or perhaps a different cable between monitor and computer? Might want to try that 3870 on another system as well, may not be the problem. that being said, with it being overclocked theres a possibility that it is the motherboard. I would remove it and check for burn marks, particularly around the PCI_E x16 lane.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 lordnikon678

lordnikon678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:20 AM

hi thanks for your input. Yes its a very perculiar problem. I wanted to try the 3870 before i sent it back for replacement but it wouldn't fit in my dell dimension 3150. Nothing on my pc is overclocked (always been to scared to break something). I only overclocked the geforce 7300 le after my 3870 went bad (i thought but still having problem 3 cards later). I only did it to play mw2 smoothly at 800x640. Then I had the same problem with that card so I thought I fried that one and bought a geforce 7200 gs for $30 hoping that would fix it and the problem is still there. I put the 7300 le back into the dell (the origional computer it came out of) and it works perfectly no artifacs nothing even while playing C&C 3 tw for 2 hours on medium settings. As of right now I have the geforce 7200 gs (brand new) in my computer. Nothing is overclocked. The board looks great no burn marks scratches or chips anywhere. I don't have another dvi cord to try but I do have a vga cord to try. I left my computer off all night last night and power it on today with no problems right now. even as i'm typing this the screen is perfect. And I will try the monitor on another computer. I will try to play some mw2 to see if maybe it happends when something heats up. I dunno. Thank you for your direction.

as soon as I clicked add reply the pink lines showed up. so much for playing mw2

I have swapped cables to a vga cable for an hour now with no problems played mw2 for 20 mins and 40 mins video card stability test not overclocked with no problem yet. will go buy another dvi cable to see if maybe its the dvi port on my monitor. Thank you again for your help didn't even think of the cables. simple A+ stuff :thumbsup:

Edited by lordnikon678, 26 January 2010 - 12:55 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

ya its not something common but cables and ports do go out on occasion, and with those problems the first place I look is the video card, second the monitor, third the cables. (in that order, because the likeliehood of them going out is the same way). If neither the cable or the port is the issue however, feel free to post again and we shall go from there. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 lordnikon678

lordnikon678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

I tested the monitor with another cable and it was fine for an hour then the pink and green dots were back tried it on my dell and it happend after 5 hours with both cables. But does not do it with the vga cable connected. So its the dvi port on the back of the monitor. I have called asus because its only been 1 1/2 years on a 3 year warrenty. They said to send it back and they will repair it or replace it and I ill have it back in about 2 weeks. and by the way the video card is bad also my friend tried it in his couputer and just a blank screen. so that will be replaced under warrenty also. who wudda thought video card and monitor at nearly the same time. Thank you for all your help solving this issue.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:38 PM

not a problem :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users