Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Defense has taken over my computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 EddieNeedsHelp

EddieNeedsHelp

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:55 PM

So my sister's computer has been hit by a virus. It constantly asks to install Malware Defense and keeps opening up the Windows Security Center. It won't allow us to run Malware Bytes and it blocks all the websites we try to download other antivirus programs from. I installed SuperAntiSpyware on the computer but it won't allow us to open it. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whiteac2k4

whiteac2k4

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

This one can get really nasty. I have seen it totally lock a machine to a crawl. Do you have another machine that you can download Malwarebytes to, and then to a flash drive. If so then you can put it on your machine and Run-AS administrator.
If all else fails you can manually remove it.
Follow this link for directions. ***Caution if you havent touched your registry before do not attempt to*****
http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-malware-defense.html

The manual removal is the only way I have been able to remove it off a clients machine.

#3 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

The link you put in your post, whiteac2k4, is a potentially dangerous website.
Don't go there Eddie. See:
Website

Edited by Darthy, 25 January 2010 - 05:18 PM.

Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#4 EddieNeedsHelp

EddieNeedsHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

I'm trying rkill but once the windows closes the virus is still active and preventing me from going to any website that involves anti-virus software or advice. Is there any other way? I'm not confident in doing in manually.

#5 Darthy

Darthy

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

What is your Operating System Eddie?
Thanks John

#6 EddieNeedsHelp

EddieNeedsHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

The OS is Windows XP SP2

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

See Here: Remove Malware Defense (Uninstall Guide) By Grinler

@ Darthy LinkScanner Online did not find any exploits for the 2-spyware.com link above. Although I cannot vouch for it's contents. While you may have gotten an Alert, it may be a false positive. Suffice it to say caution is advised visiting any unknown site.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 EddieNeedsHelp

EddieNeedsHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

rkill isn't doing the job. The window closes and I still can't download or use any anti-virus programs. It redirects me from malwarebytes.org and cnet and won't allow me to reach bleeping computer.

#9 Darthy

Darthy

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

Thanks Animal.
Thanks John

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

You may need to run rkill numerous times.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 EddieNeedsHelp

EddieNeedsHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

The computer will no longer load regularly. I turn it on and after the windows loading screen the screen turns black and nothing happens. I can start it in safe mode and run rkill but I have no way to download any programs as I cannot connect to the internet (networking is enabled). Malwarebytes is already installed on the computer. Has Malware Defense corrupted these files so that I can't access them even after rkill?

#12 EddieNeedsHelp

EddieNeedsHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:50 AM

I mean no offense... I'm sorry but the last time I was here the advice I received was precise and effective. I appreciate your efforts but this is not the step by step instruction that I was given the last time that I was here. I would appreciate a proper response instead of these vague instructions. I know that re-posting my issue is frowned upon but I feel that I have no choice if I do not get the help that I require.

#13 whiteac2k4

whiteac2k4

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

The link is fine, it has manual removal instructions for removing this Malware defense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users