Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making a website public using FTP?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:53 PM

I've been using Dreamweaver for a while, but I've never actually published anything to the web. I've created a simple .html page that I need to be able to show someone via a link. I have it uploaded to our company server using FileZilla, but now I'm not sure what to do.

I've looked at multiple different tutorials, but none were helpful. I'm really not even sure what to search for.

Should I publish through Dreamweaver, or FileZilla? Does it even matter?

I have the .html file and jpegs uploaded to our server, but how can I make a link to show it to someone?

Any help is appreciated, as I'm kind of lost right now. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

Did you put the file in the proper place on the server? Generally, if you put the page in the proper spot on the web server, all you need to do is use the URL of the server, along with the name of the page. For example: www.mycompanyserver.com/mypage.html

If all you did was upload the file and such, and it is not actually in the web server directory, then whomever you want to be able to see the page will have to use Filezilla or something else to download the page and all the images. Perhaps it would be easier to just bundle everything into a zip file and send it to them? Once they unzip the file, they will be able to double-click on the HTML file, and it will open in their browser.

#3 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

Hmm. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing here. The web guy made me a FTP Site for me to backup my graphic design work. I was hoping I could use it to do what I explained above. I don't know if it's possible to just make one .html file viewable to the public so that I could just email someone a link. It would be something useful for me to learn in the future. Does the way he setup the FTP site for me make any difference to whether or not this will work?

I did, however, zip the contents of the site and emailed them to my other computer, and that worked. Thanks a lot for that! And thank you for your quick response. I've been screwing around for a couple hours trying to figure out how I could show this page to my co-worker.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

Yes. If he set up an FTP site, then the place where you upload the files is not part of the system that serves up web pages. The system admin is the only one that can add permissions for people to access the FTP site, so giving people a link is not going to do oyu any good, unless the admin gives them access also. But they are going to have access to everything then.

If you just want a file storage site that you can choose with whom to share files, then I suggest Windows Skydrive. You get 25 gigs of free storage, and you can choose who has access to a particular file. You will need a free Windows Live id.

#5 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

Thank you for your help, I'll definitely look into that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users