Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI connector or USB to HDMI

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dunnjt10

dunnjt10

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

My computer is a Dell 15 Inspiron laptop. A wonderful gift was left by Santa claus this year, A new, beautiful HDTV. My computer has no DVI or HDMI connector. Is there a way to connect my laptop to this HDTV for a reasonable cost?

This laptop is running Vista home 32-bit with 3 gb of ram.

I also purchased an new wide screen monitor to use as the display for this computer. The new monitor has a DVI connector but no such connector on the laptop? Is there a way to connect this laptop to my new monitor.

Any suggestion on how to connect my laptop,which has no HDMI connector, to my HDTV using the HDMI connector on the TV, and connect my new monitor to this same laptop would be very,very much appreciated.

I am not intending to connect to the TV and the monitor simultaneously.

Thank you,

Jerry D.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

If your TV has a DVI port, you may be able to use a VGA to DVI adapter if the laptop has a VGA port on it. The Inspiron is a low-end laptop so it doesn't have some of the features that a better laptop has. Note that with VGA, you may not be able to watch certain high definition content since it does not carry HDCP like DVI or HDMI does. But, if all you're doing is watching slideshows or SD content, this shouldn't be an issue.

3939.png

#3 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

If your TV has a DVI port, you may be able to use a VGA to DVI adapter if the laptop has a VGA port on it.

This won't work. VGA carries an analog signal. HDMI and DVI-D ports (which are the most common) will accept only a digital signal.

I would suggest using a VGA cable if your new HDTV supports it. USB to DVI adapters do exist, though.
USB to DVI

Edited by RainbowSix, 25 January 2010 - 04:38 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

I have a DVI to VGA adapter on the PC I'm using right now. However, the digital signal is coming from the PC and being displayed on the monitor, the reverse may not work. I'm curious, is HDCP still carried over the USB connection or is it lost since there is no protected pipeline with USB?

3939.png

#5 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

However, the digital signal is coming from the PC and being displayed on the monitor, the reverse may not work.

DVI to VGA adapters will work with video cards because they have DVI-I ports. These can output either a digital or analog signal.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users