Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

asus

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

is asus at the top of the food chain? thinkin about getting one thats all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

yes
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

i was talking to a computer repair person and she told me that basically asus hp dell and compaq are all the same and when you get in to things like gaming thats when they become different.....

really?
i dont think i agree, but what do you guys think and why is asus at the top?

thanks-

#4 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:33 AM

o come on guys id like some replies. i need to get this thing as soon as possible.........thanks

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:48 AM

Well, the quick to your question (is Asus the best?) would be, "Yes."

As for what the computer repair person said, yes that is true. For everyday computing, you will not see much difference in the performance of Asus vs. Dell vs. HP, etc......it's still a better computer (Asus), but you can't tell it because what you are doing is not demanding enough to tell the difference between this computer versus that computer. With applications as light as word processing and internet surfing (even things like Photoshop), it's not a "hardcore" enough test to determine which is better.

It's like trying to determine which has more pulling power - a Chevy pickup truck, or an 18-wheeler - by towing a cardboard box filled with tissues. It's hard to see the difference.

But when you get into the gaming aspect, that's when the stars of the computer industry really shine. I can't give a direct voucher for the quality/performance of Asus/HP/Dell, etc....as I have not owned all of these different brands. But I do know from what others have said that Asus is the best.

So, if you need an excuse to empty your wallet on a super-duper Asus, then you've got one. You need extraordinary performance, and Asus is the best (budget buying would call for a different approach). End of story.

Go buy it.

Any other questions?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

My son is heavy into online gaming, and is quite happy with his new Asus G71GX.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#7 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:21 PM

youre the man ninja, but what else would be considered "hard core" besides gaming and i like the whole pick up 18 wheel box of tissues example that was nice.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

youre the man ninja, but what else would be considered "hard core" besides gaming and i like the whole pick up 18 wheel box of tissues example that was nice.

What can I say? I try. :wacko:

Enjoy your Asus !! :blink:

#9 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

im gonna enjoy the hell out of it, but you didnt answer my question. what "hardcore" stuff could you do with an asus besides gaming. id like to know what an asus is capable of doing besides having an excellent mother board.

and would a standard asus (4gig, 500gig hdd intel pentium etc etc) still be better than a dell or hp in the same "class"....

also is an intel DC T4400 any good?

thanks guys.....

may be a little childish, but i want a laptop thats better than my friends and they have dell inspirons and hp pavillions, but the new ones.

Edited by sharpie, 27 January 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

Oh sorry. Your previous post had very little punctuation, so it was hard to tell what was a statement/comment/question, etc. :wacko:

Off the top of my head.....rendering high definition video comes to mind. Other than those two (gaming and HD video), there isn't much more. I mean, there's mass data manipulation and calculation, but even that isn't terribly hardcore on such a powerful computer. There aren't many other things. Oh wait, just thought of another: Virtual Machines. I almost crashed my Dell laptop trying to run 2 vm's at once. But yours should be able to run vm's without even blinking (as if computers could blink :blink: ).

It's pretty much the closest you can get (in the citizen's market) to a supercomputer (depending on how far you go with the specs).

Does that answer your question? :)

#11 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

Edited by sharpie, 27 January 2010 - 02:47 PM.

#12 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

but would a standard asus be better than a standard hp or dell?

Edited by sharpie, 27 January 2010 - 02:49 PM.

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

Well, since they're known for putting computers together well (good manufacturing), then I would have to say, "Yes." But only marginally. If you put the same hardware (processor, RAM, hard drive, etc.) in two different computers made by two different manufacturers, you will see mostly the same performance. It's the little things like battery life, overall build, design, etc....that are the deal makers/breakers.

What exactly are you getting at? Every time I answer your question directly, you have another question for me right after that.

If you just want to know if/why Asus is the best, I can't really give a definitive answer.

All I know is that you can't do much better for a computer than Asus (i.e. government technology would be the next step up). :blink:

#14 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

i wasn't getting at anything man i was just asking some questions. sorry have a good day.

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:06 PM

I apologize. I wasn't trying to be harsh. I was just trying to find answers that satisfied you. I thought I wasn't doing a good job, so I was trying to see what you were wanting.

I have no problem with people asking inquisitive questions (as I enjoy answering when I can), I was just having a hard time understanding what you were after. When you ask a specific question (why is Asus so good?) and I give a long, drawn out answer that is as plain and specific as I can make it, then you throw in another dimension to look at it from and I have to analyze that and respond, it makes my task interesting, to say the least. Don't take this the wrong way, though. If something is unclear or you want more information, don't be afraid to ask. I will be happy to explain. I was simply not used to having to look at something like this at so many different angles and give a suitable answer.

One last thing, if you have something else to add, please post again instead of editing. Editing your previous posts makes it hard for me to follow what has been said as I don't typically go back up in the topic to see if anything has changed. New posts are flagged by the forum as new, and I can find them easily.

Cheers! :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users