Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus infection?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 adamanteus

adamanteus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:36 PM

Hi guys,

I have had the following problems on my computer lately (XP OS). I am really not too friendly with computers so I thought I would try this website.

Two major problems on my computer, which all came at once:

When I am opening a browser (IE or firefox), I am randomly redirected to some websites. This specifically seems to occur when I do a search in the search engine. For instance, when I make a search in the search engine, I am redirected to a page with all links pertaining to my research. Then, I click on a link, and this is where it happens. It redirects me to some websites. Also, in some cases, I am on a webpage, and a tab randomly appears (this is rather rare though). One thing to note though, is that everytime I go on internet using my bookmarks, I always end up on the right page, and I am not redirected.

Second, I have been trying to log in safe mode on my computer to be more efficient at detecting viruses. However, my computer crashes everytime I try to log in safe mode.

I have been using many software including malwarebytes, ad-aware, a-squared, as well as my symantec antivirus. All of them detected and deleted some of the viruses found. Yet the two symptoms described above are still present.

I was thinking of using combofix as a last remedy, but I saw that I would likely need supervision in order to be safe and efficient.

Therefore, my post here. Would you please be able to help me out? This would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whiteac2k4

whiteac2k4

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:53 PM

Welcome to BC. Its a great site IMO. You could always Restore your system to a point when you didnt have issues. My guesstimate is you may still be infected hence the browser redirects. Combo-fix is a great utility however I am not premitted to advice you on CF. As far as safemodes concerned you can try to boot to last known good configeration see if that helps. You could try to get to safemode also by using the msconfig utility and select to boot to safemode. Start-run-msconfig.

#3 adamanteus

adamanteus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

Hi Whiteac2k4,

I tried the last known good config but it does not change anything. Also, when i run msconfig, It does not give me the safe mode boot option. Is diagnostic startup the same thing as safe mode?

Thanks!

#4 adamanteus

adamanteus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

Also, I forgot to mention that my computer randomly shuts down. I get warning that the computer will shut down in 45 sec. I thought I got rid of this last week, but it seemingly is still around :thumbsup:

#5 adamanteus

adamanteus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

Also, I forgot to mention that my computer randomly shuts down. I get warning that the computer will shut down in 45 sec. I thought I got rid of this last week, but it seemingly is still around :thumbsup:

#6 whiteac2k4

whiteac2k4

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

Sorry to get back so late. Yes diagnostic startup is the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users