Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs Attempting to Change Registry

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:27 PM

Hi,

I have been using the same version of ZA Antivirus/firewall for months, (used ZA antivirus/firewall for many years) and the same version of AOL (America Online) on a daily basis for years, and have never before received the messages I received from ZA when starting AOL last night, and am hoping someone can tell me why I received them.

These are the messages that popped up...

AOL was trying to reconfigure software by modifying the registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID

AOL was trying to reconfigure software by modifying the registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\CLASSES

The messages are from the ZA operating system firewall and referenced the main exe file of AOL, waol.exe. I did not allow the changes and closed and restarted AOL to see if it did that again and it did.

Other than updating security programs, (updated the detections files each time they were used but it has been a couple of weeks since I updated the actual programs of MBAM and maybe SuperAntiSpyware, and have used AOL many times since without receiving that message) I have made no changes on my computer for many months. I immediately scanned with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware after receiving this message, neither found any problems on my system, nor did the very recent scan ZA did. With the exception of one small thing that never really executed a long time ago, I have never had any viruses or malware on my system and am running Windows XP Home.

Does anyone have any idea why this message would suddenly appear tonight and if I should allow those changes the next time?

BTW, AOL works just fine without me having allowed the changes.

I posted about this in the ZoneAlarm forum but nobody has answered and I doubt that they will.

I just went to use System Restore, thinking maybe I should restore to the date when all worked without wanting to change the registry, and it wanted to change the same things.

Anyone have any idea what could have changed things that are requiring these things to be changed now and if I need to let System Restore make that change before I use it?

EDIT: Moved topic, also title and description edited per your request. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 25 January 2010 - 06:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:34 AM

Animal, thank you for doing all that and I am sorry I needed you to do all of that. When I first posted it I thought it would be best the way it was but after finding System Restore was also causing that, I thought it would be best this way.

Thank you again, I appreciate all you do :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users