Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

opinions/experience?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 12:13 AM

well, i've already deleted my sp2 ...it just didn't seem to play well with others. However, i have now deleted some of those others...and am having a tough time deciding whether to reinstall or not...so i thought i'd put the subject out to graze, and see what comes along!

are you happy with yours? why? hate yours already? how come?

thanx for biting...

damgud :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:25 AM

well, damgud I've bitten and I'm
chewing. My contemplations can be considered those of user simply using. The updates are neccessary. Of equal importance are the safeguards the user has to practice. The best answer seems to be educate yourself about what you can do with what you've got. I haven't yet tried everything that I have to see if they all play well together. I will, though, as the desire to occurs. Meanwhile, back at the keyboard, I'm makin' progress and am content to pretty much ignore what the IE has to offer in favor of open source alternatives. Some of the problematic programs I've run in the past...they might have been problems that the update has very little to do with. Thats what I'm learning. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Fuelm@n

Fuelm@n

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:06 AM

I've installed sp2 on two systems. I had issues on the first install and a conflict with another app, but those have all been resolved. On the second install I've had zero problems, and at this point I'm happy with SP2.
I do believe that MS is boasting on the security side of SP2 a bit too much, 'cause there have already been issues to prove that it's not as secure as claimed. There are still vulnerabilities or issues to arise in the product, though SP2 is better to have than not...
BleepingComputer Posted Image

#4 just_me

just_me

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:57 AM

Im not happy with it... I've installed it on my work pc for testing, and so far it breaks 2 apps.... and I've only had it on a week :thumbsup: its not going out on the network for a long long long long long time.... if ever.

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:01 AM

just curious, just_me, which two programs? I haven't installed quite a few since I installed SP2 nearly a month ago and would appreciate a fore-warning from your experience. :thumbsup:

#6 just_me

just_me

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:11 AM

Netmeeting (as in have to reinstall it and it still doesnt work :S) and a product called 'Desktop' by Zeacom (its a phone system); however, you can get that working by allowing it thru the firewall, but it doesnt give you that option (usually it pops up and says do you allow this program... ) instead it just says "desktop cannot run - you have no phone line"

Not major to one pc, but imagine pushing that out to 200 odd pcs... And we rely heavily on netmeeting.

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:21 AM

:flowers: I see yur point. Let's hope some of the IT Pros here can help you. Check to have e-mail notification of activity in the thread (and I'llplea my ignorance of a solution and sit back and watch) :thumbsup:

#8 Jaspossum

Jaspossum

JasMonkey-That Funky Monkey!

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:52 PM

I just installed sp2 yesterday, and so far I like it.

I only have one problem so far,

I have been running Spybot Search & Destroy's TeaTimer software on my XP Home, Hp Pavilion. For those unfamiliar, TeaTimer alerts you when a program makes a registry change in the Run keys or a few other areas that are frequented by spyware.

Since installing SP2, I have noticed a strange issue:
Every time I start Windows, I receive a message from TeaTimer that says a registry entry has changed.

Category: Global browser toolbar
Change: Value deleted
Entry: {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E00A0C9082467}
Old data: hex:00

Once I tell it go go ahead and allow this value to be deleted, I receive another message:

Category: Browser page
Change: Value changed
Entry: Local Page
Old data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\blank.htm
New data: C:\WINDOWS\system32\blank.htm

I have searched the Web looking for any reference to "Global browser toolbar" and found nothing. I can only assume it is a new SP2 feature.

What I don't understand is why the system DELETES this value every time it is started. (Note, TeaTimer is not deleting anything, it is just alerting me that it has been deleted.)

Has anyone seen a similar issue? Is the Global browser toolbar a new SP2 feature? If it is being deleted every time the system starts, why does it keep coming back?

:thumbsup:
JASPOSSUM

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:43 PM

Jaspossum

a google search of just the CLSID entry you've been alerted to seems to refer to a legitimate item, the global browser toolbar below.

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - { 8e718888-423f-11d2-876e00a0c9082467 } - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx

Do you have IE's start page set to "about:blank"?

Old data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\blank.htm
New data: C:\WINDOWS\system32\blank.htm

the capitalization difference is not an issue, in this example windows is case-insensitive.

Posted Image

possibly a similar problem

Edited by phawgg, 24 September 2004 - 11:03 PM.

#10 Jaspossum

Jaspossum

JasMonkey-That Funky Monkey!

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2004 - 07:43 PM

Do you have IE's start page set to "about:blank"?

No, I have it set to www.netscape.com.

The link you posted sounds like the exact same problem.

Thanks.
JASPOSSUM

#11 Berserker

Berserker

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:54 PM

Hi
i installed sp2 on the wifes computer a month ago with no side effects and i installed on to this machine last week no side effects [YET] we are both on xp pro

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:57 PM

No, I have it set to www.netscape.com.

If that is the case, it sounds like a browser hijack, doesn't it? Post a log, I'd say. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users