Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 laffingboy11

laffingboy11

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

Hi Everyone,

I took a class from my local school district on how to build a computer a few years ago and built what has been a great computer. That is until yesterday.

Here are the specs for the computer:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo, I think it is an E6600
Motherboard - Asus P5K-E/WiFi AP
RAM - 4x1GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 PC6400
Graphics - BFG GeForce 9800GT
Power Supply - OCZ GameExtreme 700w
Boot Drive - WD Raptor 74GB
Data Drive - SGT 750GB Sata2
Optical Drive # 1 - Lite On OEM DVD
Optical Drive # 2 - Philips DVD

The computer runs on WinXP Pro

I rebooted the computer and after shutting down the computer would not start. It attempts to start but cannot even POST. The power LED comes on and the hard drive LED flickers and the computer makes a whirring sound like all of the drives are spinning up and then it just stops. After about 5 seconds it will do the same thing, LEDs flicker, drives spin up and then stop. It does this about every five seconds and the only way for me to stop the process is to reach behind the machine and turn off the power supply using the rocker switch on the outside of the power supply.

There was no warning of any problem before I rebooted. There were no clicks or pops or smell of burning electrical components. I opened the case and checked all of the connections from the power supply to the motherboard, video card and drives. There were no loose connections. I inspected the motherboard as best I could (the view of some components was obstructed by the CPU fan mount) looking for any blown or leaking capacitors or any obvious signs of damage and did not see anything.

I am kind of inexperienced with these types of things but I am wondering if I have some sort of power issue or BIOS issue. Maybe the power supply has malfunctioned and does not output enough power for the motherboard, or the power regulation components on the motherboard have malfunctioned. Could something like this be caused by the little button battery on the motherboard?

If anyone has any suggestions please reply.

Thanks,

Laffingboy

Edited by laffingboy11, 25 January 2010 - 03:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

Can you access the BIOS setup utility at all?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 laffingboy11

laffingboy11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the reply MrBruce1959. No, the computer does not even start to load the BIOS before it goes into its power cycle routine.

I talked the network tech at work to see if he had any ideas. He said that he has seen this same thing happen from time to time and that in most cases it is caused by a faulty power supply. I purchased a new power supply, installed it and the problem is solved. After installing the new power supply the computer booted normally right off the bat. I am surprised that what seemed like a pretty good quality power supply failed. Anyway this problem is solved and the case is closed.

Thanks,

Laffingboy

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:33 PM

You're welcome!!

:thumbsup: That's what we want to hear :flowers:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 January 2010 - 11:35 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users