Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Electric outlet dilemma!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CShirey

CShirey

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

Hello,
I just moved into a new house a week ago and got let go from my job yesterday. The reason that I mention that is that I know the proper answer to this question (I believe :thumbsup: ) but I am unable financially to make the needed changes. I am not sure if I have the correct forum . . .

The current problem: I have two different rooms to choose from for my office. Each one has an electrical dilemma. Room #1 has ONE three prong adapter outlet in which I could plug two surge protectors covering most of my computer equipment.

Room #2 has THREE outlets of the old style two prong kind; I could plug in adapters in each (just two would be necessary, I think) and plug the surge protectors into the adapters.

Whatever solution I use is only until I can convert the standard outlets into three prong grounded outlets.

Which solution is better and why?

Thank you for your time. I have lots of things to do on my computer and setting up my office is my priority but keeping my equipment safe is the most important. However, the lack of $$ is a big issue at this time.

Thank you, as always!

cs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,403 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

You should be just fine plugged into the two prong as your surge protectors will protect your equipment, I ran like that for 4-5 years in my old house with no issues.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

Room #2 makes more sense.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 CShirey

CShirey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

Thank you both very, very much! I just didn't want to make an obvious mistake. My equipment is of great importance to me especially with money tight there is no room for replacement!

You are the greatest!

Off to set up my office!

:thumbsup:

cs.

#5 westom

westom

• Banned
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:56 PM

The current problem: I have two different rooms to choose from for my office. Each one has an electrical dilemma. Room #1 has ONE three prong adapter outlet in which I could plug two surge protectors covering most of my computer equipment.
Room #2 has THREE outlets of the old style two prong kind; I could plug in adapters in each (just two would be necessary, I think) and plug the surge protectors into the adapters.

The third prong is for human safety. Computer require that third prong for human safety. Or converting the receptacle to a GFCI type - also for human safety.

The protectors do not even claim to provide any protection - transistor or human. To make one effective, locate a three prong receptacle on the breaker box. Plug that protector strip there. Now that protector many have a connection to earth ground. A protector without earth ground does nothing useful.

Earth ground does not exist in either room. That third prong is only called safety ground (or equipment ground). Protection for you inside that computer does not work without the third prong - safety ground. Or install a GFCI receptacle to do protection that a computer cannot (without that safety ground).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users