Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up Email Client - Clarify What I Need

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

I have numerous Yahoo and Gmail email accounts and would like to integrate my important emails through one filter and was thinking that Mozilla Thunderbird or Eudora would be the way to go. However, I know little about these programs, and am unclear on whether they are what I really need.

I have a business website and will eventually migrate my business mail over to email from my own site, once I have an email client in place. I tried setting up a Thunderbird account but am not even sure I can do that with this client. My connection failed. But then, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing.

Can either of these email clients handle public email accounts like Yahoo and Gmail?

When I was setting up some email accounts through my host, it was looking for an email client to hook up through. Which comes first, the email accounts or the client? Do I need email accounts to set up the clients? What kind of information do I need to know about my email accounts from my own website to make it all work?

As you can see from my message, I really need to clarify what it is I need, and what I need to do. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

I think you will have an easier time with Thunderbird than Eudora. And to set up a client, you do need the email account first.

See the following for the two services with Thunderbird:

How to Access a Free Yahoo! Mail Account in Mozilla Thunderbird

How to Access a Gmail Account with Mozilla Thunderbird 1.x
and
How to Access Gmail with Mozilla Thunderbird

I gave you both versions of Gmail/Thunderbird not knowing what version you have. Most likely however the non version 1.x applies to you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:26 AM

Thanks, Animal. Many steps involved, but clear instructions.

One more question: I have my own website, hosted by avahost.net. What kind of information will I need about that account to set it up with Thunderbird? I'd prefer to know beforehand what I need so contacting my host will be a simple process.

Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users