Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Security 2010 causes continuous reboot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Craig M Williams

Craig M Williams

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

Does Internet Security 2010 plant a virus that causes your computer to hang or reboot when starting up?

Details:
My Windows XP Home computer became infected with Internet Security 2010. While attempting to scan for viruses using AVG Anti-Virus - free version, the computer rebooted. It now hangs on the reboot, which seems to indicate that one of the core windows files (system.exe, software.exe, sam.exe, security.exe, default.exe) has become corrupted.

This has happened to this computer before. I rebooted the computer using a windows utility and restored the windows files mentioned above from the c:\windows\repair directory. This usually solves the reboot problem, but it did not do so this time. Text flashes on the screen when it reboots, but it clears instantly, so I cannot read the text. Choosing other settings on reboot, like safe mode, and last known configuration, do not work either. This is not usual behavior for the computer, and it seems to indicate that another problem is causing the reboot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

Yes, the newer variants are causing this

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Craig M Williams

Craig M Williams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

The fix to stop the continuous reboot did not work. I was able to boot using a Windows utility - ERD Commander. I copied userinit.exe to wsapupdater.exe, but when I rebooted, I just got a flash of blue screen with text on it, and then another reboot. Any further suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users