Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is combofix up and running again?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisBrink

ChrisBrink

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:04 AM

I was just wondering if the bug has been removed and if it is safe to run Combofix(new version)? The old one deleted a lot of files, but I was able to stop it once i noticed it. All of my programs are missing as well as the logs and the executable from the old version. System restore, Windows Installer, etc are also gone. Is there a way to get these back or am I out of luck. I appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Chris

Edited by Pandy, 25 January 2010 - 11:30 AM.
Moved from HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal as no logs were included ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:31 AM

Please refer to this topic
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/290138/combofix-problems-and-resolution-for-legitimate-files-being-deleted/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

sUBs fixed the bug, however, please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

No one should be using ComboFix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 ChrisBrink

ChrisBrink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Quietman. i guess I should be kicking myself in the butt for trying this on my own. Here is my problem. I ran it yesterday and saw that it started deleting files - Itunes, Windows Installer, etc. when I go to start/all programs some appear to be there, but when I scroll over to the right, they all say (empty.) I have uninstalled combofix.exe from my desktop and its associated log files, even the quarantine logs. My question is, is there a way to recover my programs? My system restore has also been deleted, so I'm thinking the worst has happened. I really appreciate any help tou could offer :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Chris

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

Please follow the link that garmanma posted.

Please refer to this topic
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/290138/combofix-problems-and-resolution-for-legitimate-files-being-deleted/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:12 PM

garmanma provided the link in Post #2 referencing the resolution for legitimate files being deleted and what to do.

#7 ChrisBrink

ChrisBrink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

Here is what I am getting when i try to proceed

---------------------------
Nircmd
Windows cannot find 'Nircmd'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.
OK

Thanks

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,807 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

Hello ChrisBrink,

I have closed the orginal topic you posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/290083/combofix-deleted-everything-3-case/ In your initial post you wrote:

I have since uninstalled the combofix.exe from my desktop using the uninstall utility

You may have shot yourself in the foot by doing that. I believe that having done that also removed the qoobox folder from your computer which is where the deleted files would have gone.

Quietman7, can you confirm if I am correct on this?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

Windows cannot find 'Nircmd' error occurs because the program is designed to use that file and you removed it when removing CF.

The posted fix restores the files from Qoobox. As long as Qoobox is not tampered with, the tool will be able to automatically restore the files/folders. If you removed everything with CF's uninstall then you removed everything from Qoobox. Running the tool with a missing QooBox will give another error.

Another reason CF should not be used without supervision...folks panic when something goes wrong and taking immediate action can result in an even worst situation.

Edited by quietman7, 25 January 2010 - 03:20 PM.

#10 ChrisBrink

ChrisBrink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

Understood and lesson learned :thumbsup: Do you reccommend backing up whatever files I have left, then do a system restore with a restore cd?

Thanks

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

I'd hold off. They are still reviewing reports about various errors and related problems and may come up with something. Keep monitoring the thread with the fix.

#12 ChrisBrink

ChrisBrink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

Thanks Quietman7, I'll keep monitoring this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users