Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing file in Windows Registry

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chayden

chayden

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:57 AM

Checking the temporary files for the 4 users on my family’s computer (XP SP3), I noticed that there was an inordinate number of temp files for each user. Literally hundreds… I’ve never seen anything like this. I ran malware bytes, discovered a few viruses, and deleted the files. Trying to figure out how this had happened (the virus or something else) I noticed that in the registry, the file or key “memory management” is missing from the location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management.

Could this have caused the problem?

Could the file be located somewhere else in the registry – and if so, how do I find it?

How do I reinstall this file?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

I noticed that there was an inordinate number of temp files for each user

Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.
===========================

Could the file be located somewhere else in the registry – and if so, how do I find it?

Please note the second post where they talk about the i386 folder
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 chayden

chayden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

I copied the file from the older control files and it reinstalled into the current one.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users