Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worm.Win32.Netsky on Dell Inspiron 6400

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 byrnish

byrnish

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:33 AM

Greetings, I am a newbie to the forum and am here looking for advice on an increasingly annoying/worrying problem to do with the worm.win32.netsky virus.
Since Saturday I have made various attempts to boot my Inspiron 6400 (running Win Xp SP2) using normal boot up, safe mode & last known good configuration, etc etc.

Up until this morning I kept receiving the Spyware Alert! warning message just as my peronsal settings are loading telling me how bad this virus is and what it can do...but when I click the Ok button (the only option available), nothing happened.
When trying to boot in any type of Safe Mode I only receive a Blue Screen with no errors except for "-?" displayed in the top right hand corner of the screen.
I have read plenty of solutions for actually removing the virus with various tools/utilites on lots of sites but unless I can actually get my laptop to boot I won't be able to run any of the solutions! I should also say that when I was successful in booting up normally (just ONCE mind you!) I was unable to get Task Manager to initiate (Administrator has closed it), I was able to gain access to the net but when I tried to click on any sites or lniks I was immediately directed to some random site selling chinese tvs or some such nonsense. So I have now dowlnloaded a few programs in work to a cd which seem to have been successful for people in removing the virus. However, I now have a new issue when trying to boot up...

Despite only creating one user account when I first set the laptop up all of a sudden on boot up I am presented with the "Choose a User" screen which never used to come up...when I choose my usual user name it attempts to boot, gets as far as showing me my usual desktop background picture and then just logs back out to the Welcome Screen.

So....can anyone help me to get my pc to boot in any mode possible?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hello and welcome. I suspect you have the Internet Security 2010 malware. You may need to copy these tools to a flash or CD to use them if you cannot get them fro m your connection.

First try using the Automated Removal Instructions for Internet Security 2010 from our guide here.Remove Internet Security 2010 (Uninstall Guide)

Post the scan log in your next reply with any questions and an update on the PC.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

For TASK MGR DISABLED.. IF this is XP

This step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes.

Go to Start Run and type: regedit
Click OK.
On the left side, click to highlight My Computer at the top.
Go up to File Export
Make sure in that window there is a tick next to "All" under Export Branch.
Leave the "Save As Type" as "Registration Files".
Under "Filename" put RegBackup.
Choose to save it to C:\
Click save and then go to File Exit.

Or you can download and use ERUNTwhich is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

Click on the link below:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Scroll down to #275 and click "Lift Restrictions - TM, Regedit and CMD" in the left column. Go to File, choose "Save page as" All Files and save regtmcmdrestore.vbs to your desktop. Double-click on that file to allow the script to run and reboot when done. Since the script modifies certain registry settings your anti-virus package may warn you about it. Ignore the warning and allow it to run.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

Despite only creating one user account when I first set the laptop up all of a sudden on boot up I am presented with the "Choose a User" screen which never used to come up...when I choose my usual user name it attempts to boot, gets as far as showing me my usual desktop background picture and then just logs back out to the Welcome Screen.

This will enable you to log in to Windows ...

Fix Windows XP LogOn/LogOff Loop ..... thinkinginpixels
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users