Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cracked Laptop Monitor and damaged hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tom1961

tom1961

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:47 AM

My friend gave me his HP Pavilion DV9000 to look at. He had dropped it and the LCD screen is cracked up pretty bad. He wanted me to retrieve family pictures from it.

When I turn it on, an error message appears. I was able to make out that it is a "Windows failed to start" error.

I'm thinking the hard drive my be damaged also.

How can we get the pictures and data he needs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:41 AM

You can remove the hard drive...and then attach it either directly to a different system...or use a cable/USB 2.0 enclosure to attach it as a USB device to a different system.

Examples of connection via USB:

SATA laptop drive, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-001-_-Product

PATA laptop drive, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-008-_-Product

If the hard drive is damaged, neither may work.

If the drive is attached and still cannot be accessed...you may be able to access it using recovery software. It all depends on whether the drive is detected (in Device Manager) and/or specic error message when attempting to access.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users