Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove damaged install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gundpunky

gundpunky

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:33 PM

I was trying to install WinPoET to hook up my dsl line. Halfway through the installation I got the blue screen of death. I powered down the computer and started it up again. I proceeded to remove the software through Add/Remove Programs. Now the program is not showing up on Add/Remove Programs but when I try to reinstall the program, it asks me if I want to proceed with the uninstallation. When I click ok, another pop-up says that it is "Unable to find the installation directory".

Can someone please help me take this thing off?

I went into regedit and remove all the Winpoet registry but cannot remove the file from Program Files folder.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:27 AM

You can remove a 'locked' file in XP like this:

1. Open a DOS command prompt window.
2. Now open task manager and close EXPLORER.EXE process.
3. In the DOS window, navigate to to where that locked file is.
4. type "DEL filename.xxx" (without quotes, and where filename.xxx
is the actual name of the file.

5. press ENTER and the file should be deleted. Close DOS window.
6. Now open task-manager again.
7. In the 'Shutdown' menu, choose 'Log Off (your username)'
8. Log on again.

#3 gundpunky

gundpunky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:06 PM

Thanks, but I figured it out. There's a hidden folder in "Program Files" named "InstallShield Installation Information" and even though I uninstalled the program, the folder containing the information for WinPOET was still in there that is why it kept saying that it was "unable to find installation directory". I deleted the folder and I could reinstall the program again.

Unfortunately, I don't know why (I have Win 2000 Pro) but the OS will not recognize the adapter that the software installed (iVasion). I guess that was for the better because I proceeded to get myself a router and connect my dsl through PPPOE. It's easier and no more unnecessary software. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users