Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What startup programs can i disable?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Maple Leaf

Maple Leaf

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:19 PM

I have the program Autoruns but wondering if somehow i can copy and paste a list of things starting up.

So then someone can tell me which ones to remove.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

I'll help you out.

Upload the file here: http://www.filesavr.com/
You don't have to sign up, or login.
When upload is completed, download link will appear in your browser address bar.
Post download link.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Maple Leaf

Maple Leaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

Here is the link http://www.filesavr.com/autoruns_2

I saved a .arn and .txt file i uploaded just the .arn let me know if you need the other.
Thanks

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:56 PM

LOL....I need txt file.
arn file is huge and not readable.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Maple Leaf

Maple Leaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:59 PM

Here you go, sorry about that.

http://www.filesavr.com/autoruns_3

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:59 AM

For some reason, that link doesn't work for me.
Try here: http://uploadmb.com/

My Website

#7 Maple Leaf

Maple Leaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:44 AM

Here you go. http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1264409005

Whats the best way to disable these on start up also?

Thanks

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:20 AM

Programs like Autoruns are safe to disable unnecessary startups.

Re-run Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab and UN-check following items:

+ "GrooveMonitor"
+ "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" [leave it alone, if you have paid version]
+ "NvCplDaemon"
+ "NvMediaCenter"
+ "MSMSGS"
+ "MsnMsgr"

Restart computer and those startups won't bother you anymore.

My Website

#9 Maple Leaf

Maple Leaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:26 PM

Ok i unchecked all those except Windows Live since that is used all the time.

I noticed System Idle Process uses like 50-70% of CPU usage is this normal.

The computer is never idle unless i aint on it then it is shut off. So i have no lcue why the idle process would be so high.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

System Idle Process is CPU NOT used.
Normally, it should be higher. The higher, the better.

Let's see what's taking CPU cycles...

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Paste the content into your next reply.

My Website

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:36 PM

Quote from here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...2c-1465bc33a81a By KJBlake

"System Idle Process" is not any problem at all. That's just the name
g when it's not doing anything. It's there
to make the total add up to 100%.

However, if System Idle Process is in the high 50s, then activity is
in the low 40s. That's a very high number for activity to be in all
the time. You should be concerned that System Idle Process is so
*low*!

System Idle is the portion of your processing power that is not currently tasked with running any application and available for use.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 Maple Leaf

Maple Leaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

Here it is.

Process PID CPU Description Company Name Command Line
System Idle Process 0 47.73
Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts
DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls
System 4 9.85
smss.exe 1624 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation \SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe
csrss.exe 1784 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16
winlogon.exe 1880 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation winlogon.exe
services.exe 1948 1.52 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
svchost.exe 236 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
wlcomm.exe 2332 Windows Live Communications Platform Microsoft Corporation "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe" -Embedding
svchost.exe 336 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k rpcss
svchost.exe 504 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
wuauclt.exe 3196 Windows Update Microsoft Corporation "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe"
svchost.exe 684 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService
svchost.exe 776 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService
spoolsv.exe 1048 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
AVGIDSAgent.exe 1472 AVG IDS application AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe" AVGIDSAgent
avgwdsvc.exe 1384 AVG Watchdog Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe"
avgam.exe 2224 AVG Alert Manager AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgam.exe"
avgnsx.exe 2448 AVG Network scanner Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe"
avgcsrvx.exe 3516 AVG Scanning Core Module - Server Part AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. /pipeName=b43c8f01-dc69-49f1-a30e-fd90271fec98 /coreSdkOptions=18 /logConfFile="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg9\temp\b1428311-e790-4681-acc9-ca2c47e043c4-990-oopp.tmp" /loggerName=AVG.NS.Core /tempPath="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg9\temp\"
avgfws9.exe 1656 AVG Firewall Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgfws9.exe"
BDTUpdateService.exe 720 Browser Defender Update Service Threat Expert Ltd. "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\BDT\BDTUpdateService.exe"
jqs.exe 452 38.64 Java™ Quick Starter Service Sun Microsystems, Inc. "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe" -service -config "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\jqs.conf"
mbamservice.exe 960 Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Malwarebytes Corporation "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe"
nvsvc32.exe 2148 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 93.71 NVIDIA Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
pctsAuxs.exe 2516 PC Tools Auxiliary Service PC Tools "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe"
pctsSvc.exe 2688 PC Tools Security Service PC Tools "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe"
svchost.exe 3372 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
TUProgSt.exe 3444 TuneUp Program Statistics Service TuneUp Software C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe
wdfmgr.exe 3536 Windows User Mode Driver Manager Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
alg.exe 1072 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
svchost.exe 3356 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HTTPFilter
TFService.exe 2824 PC Tools ThreatFire Service PC Tools "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\TFEngine\TFService.exe" service
lsass.exe 1960 0.76 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
avgchsvx.exe 896 AVG Cache Server AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe"
avgrsx.exe 904 AVG Resident Shield Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe"
avgcsrvx.exe 1144 AVG Scanning Core Module - Server Part AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. /pipeName=03a46815-5046-4146-a745-1cb4c674687e /coreSdkOptions=30 /logConfFile="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg9\temp\8cda54a7-977e-451f-86f1-fe5dddf39ec6-388-oopp.tmp" /loggerName=AVG.RS.Core /binaryPath="C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\" /tempPath="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg9\temp\"
explorer.exe 1664 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
pctsTray.exe 444 PC Tools Tray Application PC Tools "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"
avgtray.exe 464 AVG Tray Monitor AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. "C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe"
AVGIDSMonitor.exe 816 AVG IDS application AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Identity Protection\agent\bin\avgidsmonitor.exe"
ctfmon.exe 512 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe"
msnmsgr.exe 2764 Windows Live Messenger Microsoft Corporation "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe"
firefox.exe 3788 Firefox Mozilla Corporation "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
cmd.exe 212 Windows Command Processor Microsoft Corporation "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe"
procexp.exe 3160 1.52 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com "C:\Documents and Settings\Hart\Desktop\ProcessExplorer\procexp.exe"

#13 Maple Leaf

Maple Leaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

I also notice now Idle Process is always 85-98%

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

Your main culprit is Java Quick Starter Service (jqs.exe), which is using 38.64% of CPU cycles.
Why, I'm not sure, but Java service doesn't need to run at computer startup.

I suggest...

Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • Run JavaRa.exe (Vista users! Right click on JavaRa.exe, click Run As Administrator), pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
  • Accept any prompts.
  • Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
  • Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.
Note 1: UNCHECK any pre-checked toolbar and/or software offered with the Java update. The pre-checked toolbars/software are not part of the Java update.

Note 2: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications. If you don't want to run another extra service, go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter. Click OK and restart your computer.

Make sure, you execute "Note 2" advice.

My Website

#15 Maple Leaf

Maple Leaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:26 PM

Ok i did all that, and restarted. Anything else i should do?

Thanks for your time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users