Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling XP - need SATA driver

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

Hey guys,

I am reinstalling Windows XP onto a computer I just bought that had a hacked version of Vista on there. Anyway, I put in the XP install disc, and, it does not recognize a hard drive, so, I can't delete the previous partition. Talking to a friend of mine, he said that I needed to install the SATA driver for the machine, a HP A1440N desktop. I can't find it on HP's website. Any clue where I can find it? Also, how do I install this driver on the machine once I do have it?

Thanks.

Jeremy

EDIT: Merged topics

Edited by garmanma, 28 January 2010 - 12:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

SATA is on board and is supported by the BIOS. No drivers are required for installing XP. Check the connections on the drive and check the BIOS settings to be sure the port you are plugged into isn't disabled.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:58 PM

You might try thr chipset driver:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...=135&mode=3
Your computer's detailed specs.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=1843644
This guy says he found the driver:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_...SLanguage=en-us
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:38 PM

SATA is on board and is supported by the BIOS. No drivers are required for installing XP. Check the connections on the drive and check the BIOS settings to be sure the port you are plugged into isn't disabled.

The BIOS as well as the physical motherboard interface do dictate if SATA is supported. How ever SATA drivers are required to be preloaded before XP will see a SATA hard drive.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

<<How ever SATA drivers are required to be preloaded before XP will see a SATA hard drive.>>

Well...not quite :thumbsup:.

The concept of IDE emulation/simulation (which is pretty common today) allows users with SATA drives/support...to fool XP into seeing the SATA drives as IDE for purposes of installing XP (which doesn't recognize SATA drives natively).

The user would have to enter the BIOS and see what settings are available...on more recent motherboards, the IDE simulation settings will probably be the default.

The only way to tell that I know of...is to inspect the BIOS settings.

If the BIOS sees a SATA drive attached but the XP install CD does not...the drivers need to be installed (via F6) when attempting to install XP...or the BIOS settings need to be changed (if possible) to enable IDE emulation/simulation.

Louis

#6 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

I don't think it recognizes a hard drive, or anythign else, at all. I will post later tonight. I know it recognized the CD/DVD, but, can't remember about the rest. I know again, when it came to the partition screen, there were 3 or 4 different instances of not being able to recognize the hard drive, so, I could not delete the existing partition.

Jeremy

#7 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:15 AM

It recognizes the hard drive in BIOS (under First Channel Direct 0,) but, again, when the partition screen comes up, there are 4 different instances of "No Hard Drive Found." The first thing that comes up when the XP install screen comes on the screen is an option to hit F6 and set up a SCSI or a RAID driver.

Any help there?

Thanks.

#8 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

Let me give an update. I went in last night, and in the BIOS, I had 4 options under Sata/Pata, and those options were
Sata
Pata
Pata/Sata
Disabled.

The option that was checked was Sata/Pata, and the one that allowed me to see the hard drive in the partition screen was the PATA option. I realized that the 4 different instances of "NO HARD DRIVE" were just the 4 memory card slots.

Anyway, I selected the option to delete the partition, and, it did. Now, it is completely clear, I think. The version of XP that I have is on 2 different CDs, it's XP MCE SP 3. It completed the first CD, and then, reboots the computer (it never asks for the 2nd CD.) However, under SATA/PATA or just PATA, it gives me a "black screen of death" saying something along the lines of an invalid disk/operating system, and it won't go past that. Under the other options, it just says "boot disk error."

Any thoughts?

I tried to put the 2nd CD in, but, nothing happened.

Thanks so much for your help.

Jeremy

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

You would have to read your owner's manual...to understand your options in the BIOS.

This may relate, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=1843644

May be useful, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...eriesId=1841797

Louis

#10 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:17 PM

Here is the fix.

First, unplug the Data cable, and then, boot the system up. Go change it from SATA mode to IDE mode. Save and turn off the computer.

Re plug it back in.

Boot up, do the install, and you're good to go!

Thanks.

Jeremy

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:40 PM

Uh negative, you do need a driver installed via F6 before you install XP on a computer with a SATA Controller.

#12 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:47 PM

My fix worked for me, at least, I think so.

#13 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:55 PM

Hey guys,

I have a HP a1440N computer, and, I purchased it last week and it had a brand new HD on it. I got full version of XP to install, and, after some SATA/IDE/Bios issues, I got it up and running. It was a 2 disc install, in the middle of the 2nd disc, it was looking for a file, an internet explorer file (at least, that's all it said," and I had to escape to get past it. It was not on the CD.

Anyway, it completed the install, and, when it came up, all I had was a blank windows background screen. I could add folders/files/programs, but, that's it. It popped up a key in the bottom right hand corner saying that I had 30 days to validate this copy of windows, but, when I click on it, it just goes away. (By the way, I put the code from the COA on the side of my machine, and it took it fine.) - Windows XP Media Center, BTW.

Anyway, I copied a few drivers from the HP website, most namely, the Networking Adapter drivers, and, all others that looked "essential." I also installed Firefox, as it appeared in the CD install, that IE did not install. Anyway, firefox will not connect, and it appears that no matter what I do, I cannot get the networking to set up (although, all I am doing is going to Control Panel and trying to establish a network connection - no success there - nothing ever appears as an icon.)

I think that's all the info. I couldn't get the sound drivers to install. I think I got the Chipset drivers to install. It says the networking is installed correctly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeremy

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:36 AM

Yes, that is the simplest way to deal with it. The SATA controller pretends to be a generic IDE controller and works normally with Windows own ATA drivers. That just means the drive will lack a few of the extra SATA features, the only significant one is the speed is limited to Ultra ATA speeds, rather than the higher potential SATA speed. In practice it will not make much difference since hard drives can't provide sustained data transfer beyond Ultra ATA rates anyway.

If in the future the system ever fails to boot up the OS, remember to check in the BIOS setup in case the setting has somehow got back to SATA again.

Edited by Platypus, 28 January 2010 - 12:38 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:42 AM

Whats in the network connections folder under "Control Panel"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users