Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Filesharing between Windows 2000 and Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LordSoren

LordSoren

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:55 AM

Greetings,

I was wondering if someone might give me some help on getting my network up and running again. I have had two W2K pro computers running with filesharing between them flawlessly for about 2 years now. One of the computers, however, decided to die a few weeks ago and I was forced to buy a new one.

The new computer is running XP home and for the life of me, and using several tutorials on the internet, have I been unable to see the other computer on my home network.

I am able to see my XP machine from the 2k machine, but when I try to access it (I have a shared folder on it) I get the message "\\XPcomp is not accessable. The network path was not found"

I am running an Ethernet network with a Linksys hub/switch. The hub/switch is connected directly to the internet through the uplink port. I then have the two computers connected to the hub. I have full internet access on both computers.

Any help or suggestions to getting file and print sharing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Soren

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I have disabled the windows XP firewall already and I am running Norton Internet Security on the Windows XP machine

Edited by LordSoren, 27 August 2005 - 12:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 27 August 2005 - 04:11 PM

Make sure they are on the same work group. Right click on the drive or folder you want share and set the permissiom.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 LordSoren

LordSoren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:46 PM

Both computers are on the same workgroup ("WORKGROUP") and I have folders shared on both computers. When I try and browse the network on the XP machine (My network places --> left side menu item "view workgroup computers") I get the message:

"Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have premission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access premissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"

Also, XP home does not use premissions to share files over a network connection - they are open to all users. Premssions are only available in Pro.

#4 LordSoren

LordSoren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:32 PM

Still looking for help on this problem, if you have any futher ideas please let me know. Thanks.

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:06 AM

[QUOTE] I am running Norton Internet Security on the Windows XP machine

this could be why, why dont you disable that. it also monitirs incoming and outgoing traffic.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:56 AM

Still looking for help on this problem, if you have any futher ideas please let me know. Thanks.

I am still working on it . I am caught up in south Louisiana. Sorry it's taking so long.

John in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

#7 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:54 AM

have you disabled the firewalls? check the windows firewalls in control panel as well too please.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:51 PM

Sorry wrong post

Edited by acklan, 05 September 2005 - 07:06 PM.

#9 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:31 PM

Have you temporarily disabled the firewall(s)?

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:05 PM

Are you trying to map a drive or just browse the network neighborhood?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users