Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports Conflicting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maximianusherculius

maximianusherculius

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

Windows XP sp3 32 bit

I have 6 USB ports built in to my tower. Why is it that when I unplug a data stick from a port that it causes my wireless connection, via one of the other USB ports, to go down most of the time? When this wireless disconnection happens I must unplug my wireless antenna and plug it back in to get reconnected.
If I try to right click the wireless toolbar icon and select "repair wireless connection", not only will it not be repaired, but my PCthen begins to lock up for 10 or 15 second intervals with equal intervals of proper function (less wireless connection) in between.
This has been going on since I got this PC about a year ago.
MY DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE.

There are 6 USB ports in my tower (2 in front, 4 in back). I use one for keyboard (rear), one for wireless antenna (rear), and one for the USB data stick (front). I have tried all 4 usb ports that are on the back side, for wireless, but still the same problem. Never any keyboard problems but the wireless connection fails about 3 out of every 4 times I pull my data stick out of the port.

My friend has the same model of pc as I do. She has experienced problems with her ports as well. I think she has trouble getting the rear ports to recognize hardware and ended up having to plug her keyboard and mouse into the front side USB ports. She has a wireless card.

Edited by maximianusherculius, 24 January 2010 - 07:14 PM.

Windows XP Professional 2002 sp3 32bit (ACPI Multiprocessor PC); Google Chrome and Mozilla w/Keyscramble
Processors: Twin Dual Core E5200's @ 2.5 GHz & 2 GB of RAM;..... MOTHERBOARD: INTEL
Hard Drive: Seagate 240GB ST3250310AS;..... SECURITY: Realtime is Avira (free) and Online Armor (free)
DVD/CD Drive: ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P;..... MALWARE Scanners: MBAM, SAS
WIRELESS: Linksys Wireless-N USB Network Adapter;..... DISPLAY Adaptors: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

Not sure exactly why.. Post the make and model of your comptuer so we can do research on the topic. A fix may be to proplerly stop the device before removing it. You can do this by clicking on the connection in your task bar and discconect from the drive before unplugging it.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 maximianusherculius

maximianusherculius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

This PC is one of many that were custom built by a reputable IT rep.

E5200 Pentium Dual Core 2.5GHz
2 GB of RAM
Seagate 240 GB hard drive

I think the motherboard is INTEL. INTEL is all I see on the screen before the windows screens start.

UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS:

INTEL 82801G (ICH7 FAMILY) USB Universal Host Controller -27C8
" 27C9
" 27CA
" 27CB
" 27CC
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
"
"
"

That last statement you made sounds logical. Never thought of trying that. I wish I could be more specific right now but I cannot.

Edited by maximianusherculius, 24 January 2010 - 10:55 PM.

Windows XP Professional 2002 sp3 32bit (ACPI Multiprocessor PC); Google Chrome and Mozilla w/Keyscramble
Processors: Twin Dual Core E5200's @ 2.5 GHz & 2 GB of RAM;..... MOTHERBOARD: INTEL
Hard Drive: Seagate 240GB ST3250310AS;..... SECURITY: Realtime is Avira (free) and Online Armor (free)
WIRELESS: Linksys Wireless-N USB Network Adapter;..... DISPLAY Adaptors: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS

#4 maximianusherculius

maximianusherculius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

I just tested your idea. You were right on the money. Nicely done. Thanks a lot. I appreciate you weighing in with a quick solution.

Edited by maximianusherculius, 25 January 2010 - 12:03 AM.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Glad it all worked out :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +